Technical Climate Control [faulty fan?]

Currently reading:
Technical Climate Control [faulty fan?]

re: Climate Control - Problem with heater fan

Hm. OK, maybe it's just me picking up issues and making them into problems, because I'm more alert to search for causes. I just had never noticed before.

And yes, I have climate control (digital display with dual climate zones etc.) and my guess is electrical fault. I have been searching further, but it looks like I'll have to have an electrician have a look at it, because based on the manual I'm really not sure what to look at.

Thanks for your replies though! :)

Last edited:
Re: Stilo Heater Fan 1.6 MW

Looking for some help please......my stilo abarth climate control heater recently has a mind of its own and usually (virtually all the time) does not work (except a vague trickle). Occasionally it comes on full belt so the motor appears to be working. But it gets a bit chilly !!! Is this a known problem (with a known (cheap?) solution?). The problem started infrequently but is now not realy working at all (except the trickle). Answers on a postcard please, if any.

Fan/aircon failure,help sought

I'd be grateful for any advice please folks.
Yesterday the aircon fan packed up,with air still being conditioned. A couple of hours later the whole lot ceased to function.
The digital display is still working and I can hear a click when I press the fan button.

PS. It's been off the road since last June,could this be the cause? If so, which is the likeliest thing to have gone kaput?
It's done less than 27k.

Last edited:
Re: Fan/aircon failure,help sought

Which engine is this as the air con systems are quite different?
Not sure what you mean when you say
" Yesterday the aircon fan packed up,with air still being conditioned".

If the internal fan stops then the air con air flow stops. Do you mean the air conditioning compressor was still going but the interior fan stopped?

The interior fan does seem prone to internal wiring and circuit board open circuit problems. And yes, lack of use is the killer for it as it's pretty damp down there

Check your fuses
Then check for power and earth at the fan if you can. Real fun getting to it though if it's a rh drive car:)

Last edited:

Yes, I think the compressor is still working. I have an Abarth with climate control.
I'll try the fuse first, with fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice.

The compressor is working and power is getting from the buttons to the fan.
It looks like the blower fan is U/S. Can anyone give me an idea of the cost of a new one and how easy is it to install? Does the dash have to be removed?

No you won't need to remove the dash but it's a very uncomfortable job. If it's a RH drive, tie down the clutch pedal maybe to the brake cross tube for easier access and if necessary you can slide off the steering lower joint at the splines

fan 1.JPG

heater fan.jpg

Look in the Stilo Guides for how to change your pollen filter for photos of the area, Worth changing the pollen filter whilst you're down there maybe
pollen filter.JPG

Check the power and earth lines down there first though, shame to go through all that and then find it's a wiring fault

Last edited:

Many thanks for your help. Unfortunately I need a new blower assembly. Any idea where I can get the cheapest deal please?

Re: Heater Blower

how on earth did you guys get the motor out? i dont see that possible on mine (left hand drive) i took the codrivers panel cover underneath but it almost impossible to reach all three screws also i dont see it fitting to come out unless the whole dash comes out.

My heater blower was one minute working OK then it would slow right down I live in Spain so it is always on Air con, then I noticed for a short while it did not blow when it was on full force but it would work on a lesser force, now it has stopped working all together I rang a mechanic and he said it is probaly the motor that has gone anybody any ideas or do I take it to Fiat.
Thank you in anticipation

heater wiring 2.JPGYour heater blower N85 has a full 12v delivered to it all the time that ignition is on and the speed settings for slower than full power are done by a resistance pack O30 offering various resistances between the motor and earth
heater wiring 3.JPG

The circuit board seems to suffer from poor contacts but you may be able to repair the board connections

The motor could be at fault but the fact it didn't work well on the full power setting then i'd check power supply and earth as full power is straight through the motor to earth

So
POWER
I'd check the fuse contacts first then find the blower power wire
(shown as A= light blue) and make sure you have 12v there-OK

EARTH
Then I'd find the earth line (shown as H=grey here) from the blower motor and using a separate wire, connect that to earth and if the motor runs at full power then you know your motor is fine and it has to be the speed control wiring and connections

If you're methodical and careful you might be able to do a lot of the testing at the fan switch itself H81 for convenience.
I'd check
is 12v coming out of the fan and getting to the switch terminal E?
if it is you know you've got power supply to the fan and no open circuit in the fan
Then
is the switch earth line showing near zero resistance to earth? switch terminal A
If both look good, then short the two and the fan should run on full power which means you've checked the fuse, the fan and the earth lines all in one

Last edited:
problems with climate control

i have a stilo 1.9jtd. the climate control has stopped working (fan) the car still heats up but does not blow air. checked fuses internal and bonnet. snowflake intermittent (shows when car is first started then disappears).
any ideas
thanks
sarah:confused:

Re: problems with climate control

try using a direct live and earth on the blower motor to see if it still works. if it works then the most likely fault is the blower motor speed controller, which is very close to the blower motor (follow the wires from motor). check the speed controller for signs of burns or melted plastic. a scrapyard replacement shouldnt cost much at all.

Re: Climate control - fan problem?

Hi there,

We have the exact same problem! I am interested to know if you found out what the problem was and if it has been fixed and how it was fixed.

Many thanks :-(

I've got my fan out, my back is broken, my arms are covered in blood but it's out. Now how do I get at the pcb. It would appear that the fan is a press fit on the spindle. The spindle is quite rusty so I'm a bit worried about the amount of force required to get it off. Or is there something I've missed ?

Given up with trying to get at the PCB so bought a new fan from the dealer. No prizes for guessing, its the wrong one and they don't know the right part number.
They will ring Fiat technical on Monday, this part no is 77363824 (£72.53 +VAT), the original fan sticker shows 7737013701.
Anyone know the correct part number for an '02 Stilo JTD with climate control ???

Had a look see on ePER, it's not easy to find, there seem to have been three types over the years but end up being this incorrect one, there is no PCB in the fan unit and only a connector with 2 prongs, the original has 4 prongs in the (larger) connector.
Thanks

Re: Climate control - fan problem?

my brother seems to have sorted the heating out. he took the panels in both sides of the footwell off, tied the clutch pedal up, checked the fan which seemed to be ok, and then worked his way through all of the wires removing, cleaning and reconnecting them.
so far so good

I have a 2002 stilo abarth 2.4 with dual climate control and the fans also have a mind of their own they will work complety fine one day and not the next.

I still get heat just the fans dont blow it out :bang:

when they do work the snowflake on the control comes on and can be turned off you can put it in to full auto, auto and manual mode and adjust everthing perfectly

when they are not working, normally when its been wet the only thing you can adjust is the fan speed which doesn't do anything even on full.

I have had an inde look at it they first of all said try a new resistor pack for it when they tried to fit on my model it is built in to the fan and can't be easily replaced so then it was a new fan and that is £400 ex vat ex labour and they said they can't say it will work after that!!!!

like everyone else the fans work great one day but not the next so it isn't broken just seems like an electrical fault.

anything i can do????:cry:

if it is just a resistor on the fan then why aren't people just having this fixed/replaced

if its a connection then again why aren't people just having this fixed/replaced

is the only option to get a new fan???

Also the Neil Harrod Ltd route looks the best is it a new fan for £200 inc fitting e.t.c if so why is everyone else so much or are they recon's don't mind if they are just asking the question?

Leelee has used them i think a reply from him would be good to hear his experience and a few more facts tried calling them but must be off over the hol.

Last edited:
Back