Technical Climate Control [faulty fan?]

Currently reading:
Technical Climate Control [faulty fan?]

Climate Control - fan intermittent

Hi Guys, I am new to the fourm

I have a 2.4 Fiat Stilo Abrath

A couple of weeks ago I discovered that my climate control system has an intermittent fault

It will work fine for a few days and then will not work at all, you will get all the display etc but no fan, I was told by Fiat that the A/C would need to be re-gased for this problem to be fixed, somehow I don’t think it’s the A/C as when the system does work the A/C works fine, I don’t know if it is some kind of electrical fault on the climate control system need to be re-programmed.

I would appreciate any comments (y)

Thanks
Leelee :bang:

re: Climate Control - fan intermittent

If the internal fan is all that is stopping working then its almost definately the fan motor itself failing. A regas would not cure this. Make sure the technicians know that.

Heater Fan Motor / Ball Joint

Guys

Just wondering if any of you have had any problems with the Heater Fan Motor? Had my car looked at today by Indi done a few test and the result was that they heater Fan needs replacing as it has a intermitening fault were the fan will go off and come on. I don't know if these is the cause or what! The Stilo as climate control.... I am looking about the 800.00 mark in having this fault repaired on a car that is 3 Years old as the dashboard has to be removed to can access to this.

Secondly the Abrath has had its frist MOT and was surprised when i was told that the left hand ball joint is on its way out, what kind of cars to Fiat make????????? :bang:

Re: Heater Fan Motor / Ball Joint

I had my heater fan replaced but you don't need to remove the dash board. it's accessed from the panel in the drivers foot well. it turned out that there was nothing wrong with the original fan, my pollen filter needed changing but the silly ba*@#rds at my local dealers where too stupid to try the easiest thing first even though i'd already suggested it could be the filter. Has yours been changed lately? In my experience it isn't done in a service unless you request it.

2002 1.6 dynamic 5 door steel grey.

Re: Heater Fan Motor / Ball Joint

again the pollen filter is accessed from the drivers footwell. it is right next to the clutch pedal which does make it awkward. A left hand drive car would be much easier! You'll know if it's blocked up cuz the airflow through the vents will be poor. I'm on my third filter, the latest one i fitted myself, the second one was fitted by the local dealer after discovering the new fan made no difference. They charged me around £50. The filter itself was about £10 from shop 4 parts.co.uk (link at top of page). If you have the workshop cd rom it tells you how to do it on there.

2002 1.6 Dynamic 5door Steel grey.

Heater Blower

Hi to all
I wonder if anyone could tell me if there is a relay for the heater blower in the car anywhere . The heater fan switches itself on and off as if there is a loose connection somewhere .I think the relay may have a dodgy connection as when the car is moving if i drive over a rough bit of road it will start to work then stop afterwards ,the fans directional controls work fine and i can set the speed of the fan ok as well as it spins to suit the speed i have set on the control panel could anyone point me in the direction of the fan relay i have checked several threads on the site but are different symtoms

Many thanks Steve:worship:

Re: Heater Blower

Do you have
no air con
air con
climate control

They're quite different systems and they can all turn the fan on

The basic fan heater circuit has no relays, just a 4 position switch on the dash and a resistor pack to supply the different voltages to the fan

Air con though uses a relay to turn the fan on to its pos 1 setting if the fan control switch is in the off position

If you have air con do you by any chance notice if the snowflake aircon switch lights up when the fan does its intermittent on fault?

To help you, here's the wiring diag for the system with basic air con
air con circuit.JPGClick to enlarge
N85 is your fan
H81 is the dash 4 position fan control
H80 is the air con snowflake button
J34 is a relay which, besides turning air con on, also turns car interior fan onto No.1 setting
O30 is the resistor pack

Last edited:

The car is fitted with air con and the snowflake wont switch on and off when the heater blower is having its intermittent problem ,where will i find the relay J34 which you speak of oh mighty one thanks for the reply Steve

Can you clarify, is the snowflake switch light on when it's unintentionally on?
And no matter what you do with the switch the fan stays on?

Sounds like the switch itself may be causing the problem, relays are pretty reliable and the fact the fan is switching on means the relay is working so it's getting a wrong signal feed from somewhere, could very likely be the air con switch itself. Is the air con coming on as well or is it just the fan?

Is your air con actually ok and working normally? The air con compressor won't go if the air con system pressure is bad but the interior fan will still go when the air con is selected

Relay J34 is shown as behind dashboard (lh drive model shown here), most likely near the body computer right hand side panel behind steering wheel

air con components.JPG

I'd try the easy bits first, pull out the air con snowflake switch and have a look at it. Disconnect it, insulate the connector if need be and try driving it without the switch, see if that eliminates the problem

Last edited:

Many thanks guys i had a look at the relays and fuses just under and to the side of the steering column whilst the heater fan was cutting in and out and wiggled the block of which all the above are mounted too and and hey presto it now runs without cutting out ,must be a loose connector but will leave well alone for now , The only other question i have if i press the max button and after all the air has been redirected to windscreen etc ,then press the aircon button the snowflake flashes on the display six times then stays off ,with additional presses of aircon button not doing anything to change the display ????

Many thanks for your input so far as i was losing faith in the car which is a shame as i like the shape and economy it returns and i generally go for jap sports cars and i had my sensible head on when i swapped the stilo for my 145000 miler mitsy fto with a work colleage.

Good stuff. Ok now you're getting on to my next question which was
"Does your air con work properly?"

Not sure what you mean by "I press the Max button" Max of what? What button?

Do a search on air con and you'll find lots of info on how the air con works and what tests it goes through before it will start up and lock on

Has your air con been working properly? Is the system charged properly? Does the compressor actually start when you push in the snowflake?

The button to which i refer is on the bottom row of the heater controls second from the right i think it is the button you press to quickly defrost and demist the screens and blow warm air at the windscreen ,Many thanks will check out the aircon posts

Well after thinking i had cracked the interior heater fan problem it has stopped all together now .:bang:
I have disconnected the connector that pushes into the blower beneath the drivers side it has a large red wire and a large black wire and two smaller ones one being white and the other green .
I used a test meter and found 12v across the red and black wires (y) , If i leave the test meter connected to the large black wire and then put the positive side of the meter to the white wire i can control the voltage by the controls on the climate control panel (y) ie the fan speed buttons is it fair to assume the motor itself is dead :bang: or is the green wire an additional trigger ?????????

Many thanks Steve

Here are the wiring colour scheme (Italian first letter Negro= Black, Blanc= white Verta=green etc)

N= BLACK
B= WHITE
C= ORANGE
M= BROWN
A= LIGHT BLUE
S= PINK
V= GREEN
R= RED
Z= PURPLE
G= YELLOW
H= GREY
L= BLUE

The fan is fed constant 12v power with ignition on through Fuse F8 through relay T8 and the fan controls alter the resitance on the output of the fan to earth, so to check the fan, check you have power on the light blue wire to the fan and then earth the brown wire output. Fan should go

If it does then you forget the fan and check through the resistor pack for problems. Resistor packs do cause problems so check for continuity and different resistances there

Last edited:

THe wiring i speak of is the plug which actually plugs into the motor itself is there an additional earth to the plug that goes to the motor ????

No, think of it the other way around, main power goes straight to the fan through fuse F8 and relay T8 and the fan earths through the resistor pack with varying resistance controlled by the fan speed control switch hence differing fan speeds

Look at this circuit diag which shows light blue as fan 12v main power in and brown wire output to resistor pack which then goes to earth through the pack and control switch
air con circuit 2.JPG

It looks like -at the resistor pack
grey = fan speed No1
grey/black = fan max ie pos 4
Speeds 2 and 3 aren't shown wire colours

J4 is the air con relay which will put the fan on at speed No 1 regardless of whether fan control is off or at speed 1

Last edited:
Back