Technical Climate Control [faulty fan?]

Currently reading:
Technical Climate Control [faulty fan?]

Re: Stilo Heater Fan 1.6 MW

Have a look here for some more information and wiring diagrams
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-technical/79805-heater-blower.html

But, yes the motor is fed direct 12v and the other wires provide different earth paths through various resistors to control the motor speed
What I'd do is
Check you have 12v on the red and a good path to earth on the black wire.
Now you know you have power and earth.
With power off, check for near zero resistance through the fan motor to see if it's open circuit, that's most likely where the problem is.

Hi again thaks foryour latest info, I have yet to look further into my fan problem, I have the full climate control system fitted to my Stilo and I think that the fan unit is diffrent to the standered one which has only two conections as shown in the wiring dia. and the speed is controled by the resistor pack giving 4 fan speeds. The climate control system has an infinnitely varable fan speed and a 4 wire conection two large wires ( red+black) which become live whem the igniton is truned on and the other two ( colours unknown ) control the speed. I will see more when I get it apart. Just to define the symptons better, when the ign is turned on the Cilmate control panel goes to full auto for a few seconds them switches to manual. Thanks again Andrew

Job done, after a struggle the fan came out and the fault was corrosion damage to the speed controller PCB. One of the tracks was corroded through, I was able to solder a link across the damage and all working
Many thanks for all the help
Rgds Andrew

53 Stilo MW 1.6 Dynamic

Good stuff. Saved a packet there then as they're not cheap. (y)
Most of the heater fans that suddenly stop working won't be worn out but just in need of some attention. I think there's more problems with those that aren't used so often than those used every day

Climate Control - heater fan problem.

Hi everyone, this is my first post after browsing for many years, and wouldn't you know, I am looking some help!
Actually it's my second post, the first one disappeared when I tried to preview it. I spent ages recounting witty tales of my dealings with local (Northern Ireland) FIAT dealers. Perhaps I will get round to it again sometime, but for now I need to get my wife's car fixed.
The problem is that the heater is only blowing at about half speed, perhaps a bit less. It is the 12 speed fan as fitted to cars with the 2 zone climate control. I have taken the fan out and put 12 volts directly across it and it is going full speed no problem. When I test resistance across it, it is zero, but when I include the circuit board in the resistance test, it is 1. Does anyone know if that means the board is faulty, and can I buy a new one? There is mention of a resistor pack on another thread, but I can't find it, apparently it's beside the fan, but I have searched all around that area, on both sides, and can't find it. If the problem is with the board, I don't need to know where it is though.
(Why I need full speed on the fan is that it takes full speed to open the flap on the passenger side to get warm air there, because the flap that controls that broke a long time and I was quoted about £1300 to fix it, so I never bothered. If I put the blower on full, you can hear the flap lifting and the warm air comes through, then you can regulate the heat to suit.)
Any help appreciated, I need to get it fixed, but I don't want to put the fan back in until I'm sure it is OK, it was a wee bit awkward to get out. Thanks.

re: Climate Control - heater fan problem.

Firstly, are you sure it isn't just the pollen filter that's clogged as this slows the air flow considerably

A resistance of near zero through the motor is good

The resistor pack is only found on the manual control fan wiht 4 settings, the climate control fan has an internal speed control circuit to obtain the more varied fan speeds

Sounds like the fan is good

Last edited:

Ah, that's why I couldn't find it. Thanks for clearing that up. It's not the pollen filter, it happened all of a sudden, and when I set the heater unit on the floor and plug it in it definitely runs slow. The pollen filter is pretty fresh anyway. I keep thinking there needs to be some sort of control behind the actual fan switch where you adjust the speed, but can see no mention of it anywhere else. Guess I'll just have to have the circuit checked, my knowledge doesn't run to testing one.
Many thanks for the reply though.

I haven't got a circuit diag of clim control to show you (perhaps someone else here has) but, if your can imagine, 12v goes straight to the motor and the motor earth line has variable resistance put in the way to control the fan speed. No resistance = fan full speed so as it isn'tgetting there then the problem is very likely a bad earth especially as the fan runs at full speed when out of the car and having 12v applied across it

Hi. Yeah, it could be that, perhaps I should run a fresh earth into the unit, but then it would run at full speed all the time. The existing earth disappears up behind the fan assembly into the dash somewhere. Actually, if I check the resistance through the existing earth wire to the car body, that should be zero too, shouldn't it?
As you can tell, my electrical knowledge is pretty basic, I usually manage though.
Come to think of it, perhaps a fresh earth wire would cure it, because the earth isn't being interupted until it reaches the circuit board, so it wouldn't run at full speed all the time after all. :confused:
I need to check this out a bit more, I'll do some more tests in the morning and report back. Sorry for going round in circles:)
Cheers.

Hi,

First time post on here as well, Ive got a Fiat stilo abarth and i think the fan is faulty or it could be electrical.Im rubbish with mechanical things, so advice needed.

Basically the Fan comes on intermitently.Most of the time its not blowing any air out even on high speed, but it makes me think that it must be a lose connection as the fan comes on occasionally and when it does it blows fine on all levels.I asked fiat to have a look and they did and said i need a new fan but if its blowing air thru it cant be the fan.

Any help with this would be much appreciated, also how do u locate the fan,motor and electrics as i havent had car long so not sure where to look.Then i can test the electrics to see if its lose connection.

Cheers merry xmas

Hey people,

My fan is exactly the same but on a stilo abarth would all this be in the same place for the fan, cause mine occasionally blows then doesnt, it has a mind of its own.Got told i need a new fan but dutn think i do i reckon lose connection.if this is same il have a look

Cheers

Merry Xmas

Climate Control - Problem with heater fan

This is about a 1.9 JTD Multiwagon. I have a problem with the fans. I know there have been other threads, but I haven't actually read anything about this cause. My other half was out in the afternoon and when I just went out to the local store I noticed that the fans weren't blowing. The digital controls are fine, but no air is coming out of it at all. When I got back I asked and she said it "went crazy" and very loud, so she turned it down and didn't think anything else of it. I have just checked the fuses, but the manual does not seem to be 100% on the fuses. It's apparently the F06 Maxifuse for the JTD, but it says it's 60 Amp which it doesn't seem to be looking at the fuse box. I'm a little lost. I just had a damaged wheel bearing replaced (no idea how that happened), but I can't really afford another £200 or w/e the cheapest price was quoted here for the whole fan unit. What else could I check or has anyone a bit better insight into the fuses than the rather unprecise manual? Thanks in advance!

re: Climate Control - Problem with heater fan

Think I would check as many of the electrical connectors to the fan unit and the resistor Oh and dont forget the thermostatic rad sender as well before you start thinking of getting a new unit ..cant check the fuse rating and location now as my hand book went with the car when I sold her :bang:

Pic here of the fan and related connectors for you though

http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi...INT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&GUI_LANG=3&WINDOW_ID=1

Last edited:

Thanks. Where is that located? That odd location near the clutch that people have mentioned? I mean from the sound it made it could be ground to a halt or stuck. Don't know. Had this before with a PC fan, not sure if possible with a car. Never had the fan system cut out before in any car. And well, regarding the fuses. I do know where they are, but I just think the handbook information is inaccurate or perhaps the JTD has a manual for a petrol version as that seems to be slightly different, too. Don't know.

Well. Quick update on this. When I was out and about yesterday the fan suddenly came on for a few seconds and also the car itself got warm inside. So neither the radiator nor the fan seem to have a mechanical problem. It does look like a problem within the electrical parts somewhere.

Now my question is: The handbook seems to be rather unprecise. I've tried changing fuses obviously, but according to the handbook the F06 maxi fuse by the battery should be 50amp in the JTD versions for the radiator and fan. By the looks of it there is only a 30amp fuse fitted though unless the diagram (page 314 in my manual) is different for the petrol and diesel versions of the car. I'm really lost with this. Anyone got any idea? I am still searching myself for information, but it's not easy.

Also, are there any other fuses I could or should check. Again the handbook is not overly precise on this. Thanks in advance for your help!

Not to worry, I think my explaination wasn't the best either. But, I have another update. I just went out to catch the local petrol station and it was quite foggy. First of all I had the normal lights on and then the full (far) beam driving along. The fog wasn't too thick, so I switched on the fog lights while having the full beam on and the normal lights switched themselves off after the foglights came on.

So... I've had the far beam, the fog lights and the "parking lights" on, but not the normal lights while driving. Now if either I switched off the fog lights or the full (far) beam the normal lights would come back on. I tested this when I parked up at the garage.

Also when I switched on the rear window "defroster" I can now hear a rather loud clicking sound underneath the dashboard which I haven't noticed before. The fan itself also came on a few times for up to 5 seconds while driving along.

I should say that two weeks ago I had the car in the garage, because the driver side light wasn't working, but simply changing the bulb didn't resolve the issue. The garage only charged me for the bulb, but they had an electrician look at it. So I'm wondering now whether they changed something, maybe a resistor or a fuse that now could have caused this. In two years I have NEVER once noticed this kind of light problem before and I often drive night times.

I think it's becoming clear that "the problem" is nothing to do with the radiator fan and jdinteractive means the heater fan. Loads of threads on this so do a search on "heater fan" for wiring diags, where it is and removal tips.

You can't have dipped beam, main beam and foglights on at the same time (dipped and main beam headlights come on together you see)
If you go back to dipped beam or even your position lights (parking lights/ sidelights) then you can have your fog lights back on

Last edited:

Yes, I do mean the heater fan, thank you. ;)

Deckchair5 said:
It's normal for the fog lights to go off when you select main beam so you can't have dipped beam, main beam and foglights on at the same time (dipped and main beam headlights come on together you see)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by dipped beam (the normal headlights (2 turns on the indicator lever)?). Either way, what I was saying is that the "standard headlights" will switch off if I have the main beam (far beam, blue symbol on dashboard) and the fog lights on while logically the "far beam" should switch off with the main headlights staying on. I have never noticed that before and I'm pretty sure I had them ALL on at the same time before.

Surely the "far beam" and the fog lights together shouldn't be on as it defies the purpose, but that is exactly what happens and that only started now since the garage seems to have "fixed" my headlights - which they did - and now the heater fan has cut out I do wonder if something alongside the electrics has been messed up that caused not only the heater to fail (it still does come on and off in intervals, so there is no mechanical problem I'd say) and the lights to go "crazy" now.

If this doesn't make it clear I may have to take some pictures tonight...

For clarity let's name them
Parking lights
Dipped beam
Main beam
Fog lights

If you have dipped and main beam ON then when you select fog lights the dipped beam will go OFF.

You can't have all the lights ie dipped beam AND main beam AND foglights on

For your heater fan do you have climate control? I guess so in which case the fan motor different speeds will be controlled electrically with a fan control unit to produce all the different speeds (rather than resistor packs which the Stilos with the 4 speed fan controls use). It sure sounds like an intermittent electrical fault

Last edited:
Back