General Clatter / rattle from teh front end (I think)

Currently reading:
General Clatter / rattle from teh front end (I think)

My Stilo clatters & rattles when on bumpy roads. I think it's coming from the front but can't be 100% certain. It's not the brakes or hubs as it's the same noise regardless of if I'm braking or not. I've replaced the wishbones as the rubbers were very weak, but that didn't fix it. I'm sure it's not the trackrod ends as they feel solid enough. Is there any other common failure point I should investigate?

Quite a few and some may not be connected to the steering at all! Firstly check the shock absorbers have not leaked and still raise the car when pushed on each corner. Check the springs have not snapped, moved or corroded enough to lose effect. Check body parts! Loose bumpers, wings, engine bay components can all make the strangest of noises if they break loose. Basically its a matter of hunt and identify. Get a mate to help you as four ears are better than two.

Well it turned out it was the drop links. I couldn't detect any play when they were on the car, and only slight play once removed, but I've fitted the new ones and it's now perfect. And all for less than £13 for the pair including delivery. Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

Just got to sort the other noise I get when reversing. It's a rattly clatter and could possibly be the exhaust touching something, or it could be the engine or gearbox mounts, but without changing them I can't be sure. Maybe a job for next month.

Last edited:
Yes it is a 1.6.

I think I've found out what is causing the other noise too, it seems that the exhaust downpipe is too close to the chassis with only about 5mm clearance. I suspect the small amount of engine movement when reversing is enough for it to make contact. I guess the pipe is not quite the correct profile as I do know the last owner had it changed at a local exhaust centre and they probably used an inferior supplier to save costs.

Back