General Cinquecento 1.2 engine swap help.

Currently reading:
General Cinquecento 1.2 engine swap help.

bergy

Hi,
My wife owns an N reg Cinquecento sporting, now she bought it as a daily hack, but since then has decided she wants my luxury liner (company car) to kart our little boy around in. This has now left me with the Cinquecento as my daily driver.
I got to admit I was surprised, its very nippy in standard form, but having seen all this talk on engine swap for a 1.2 I thought, mmmmhhh I want a bit of that. I have basic mechanical skills and could happy manage an engine swap.

So Im here for advice, I have read an article on here about what engines will fit, but im still confused as to which is the most straight forward and is a basic bolt for bolt swap, i.e. no need to swap ECU, loom etc etc.

Can some one tell me plan english what engine number Punto engine I need so I can start my Ebay searching.

Also how much power can be squeezed out of the Punto 1.2 60 engine ?

Thanks from a newbie.

Bergy

Hi,
Thanks for the fast reply custard, so is that either of the 60's ?
Bergy

Hi,
High boost turbo !! Erm not really for me, well at least not yet :)
No, I was thinking more of a cam, bigger throttle body, induction kit etc etc minor mods like that, things that I could do to the punto lump before its fitted.

Bergy

Hi,
High boost turbo !! Erm not really for me, well at least not yet :)
No, I was thinking more of a cam, bigger throttle body, induction kit etc etc minor mods like that, things that I could do to the punto lump before its fitted.

Bergy

Might as well do that to the 1.1 imo. The 1.2 has pretty much the same power just a little more torque.

Unless you can swap the engine on the cheap, save the money for tuning the crap out of the 1.1 imo.

Might as well do that to the 1.1 imo. The 1.2 has pretty much the same power just a little more torque.

Unless you can swap the engine on the cheap, save the money for tuning the crap out of the 1.1 imo.

you can get some 1242 engines v.cheap so your can get a 1242 and tune the crap out of that:slayer: :slayer: you can have the engine out and new 1 in within 4hours(y)

So what is involved in fitting the 1242 over the 1.2 60 ?
Sorry complete Cinquecento / Punto engine novice :(

the 1242 spi is the 1.2 60 punto engine

the 1.2 75 punto engine is 1242 but mpi(y) (y)

novice....no worries,thats what the forum is for(y) (y)

I'm a bit lost. Isn't the the mpi the 85 engine? Always thought that both the 60 and 75 were spi, with some internal differences that made for the higher number.

A litttle more torque, have you ever driven a 1.1 and 1.2 back to back? I've got a 1.1 Sei and a 1.2 Cinq very simlar specs - 40mm TB, P75 cam, GSR induction kit, McKritch chiped. The 1.1 has a large bore exhaust the 1.2 has a standard 'cento exhaust.

The numbers simply do not tell the story. While the 1.2 and 1.1 are close in the 4000 to 6000 rpm area with the 1.1 delivering good power through to 6250 or 6500 rpm at a stretch. The 1.1 only sparkles when wound past 4000 rpm, the 1.2 will drive hard from 2000 rpm but be perfectly happy in hauling the car up all the exit slip roads the M11 & A14 have to offer at idle in 5th, something the 1.1 requires 4th or even 3rd to be settled doing. The result is the 1.2 engined car feels far more relaxed and is more drivable in everyday conditions I'm presented with.

I'm a bit lost. Isn't the the mpi the 85 engine? Always thought that both the 60 and 75 were spi, with some internal differences that made for the higher number.
The 55 (1.1 8v) & 60 (1.2 8v) are SPi, the 75 (1.2 8v) & 85 (1.2 16v) are MPi. The 75 has a bigger throttle body and a slightly 'hotter' cam which makes up for most of the difference .

Last edited:
just a small question. so it is possible to do a str8 swap for a 1.1 spi sei to a 75 punto engine or would there be problems?

Back