Cheap "ok" car

Currently reading:
Cheap "ok" car

For £300 you could probably pick up something like an M-reg Punto or a P-reg Cinq at auction. Mind, that Uno is a bargain if it's in good (i.e. rust-free!) condition.
Paul, just a thought, the guy selling the car probably wouldn't appreciate you posting his phone number on a internet forum... :rolleyes:

True, didn't think about it (whoops) it's changed now.

My gramps seems to be out so haven't got his opinion yet. T&T very unusual for that sort of money! I could just run it until death. Doubt it's a runner though for that money!

In terms of auction, I have a problem with that not living at home and not wanting my grandpa to have to go! (he's 87, poor bloke!)

WIth the cinq, I don't like the idea of an 899, even more slugish than the 999 uno and i am not sure it's a fire engine is it? The sporting would increase my insurance.

Punto - would love one but would probably have to go pretty down market for a £300 car - I would rather get a good uno for that money than a bad punto I think.

TO be honest I prefer the uno, also no pandas within 20 miles on fish4cars. My uno was in good cond for the age of that sort of car.

Steve, it looks like my next car will be a Fiat ;)

Get a Cinq SX. Barely any parts in it to go wrong and they don't have anti-roll bars so they feel like you are going twice as fast as you are. Great fun. I have a small place in my heart for my old one. lol. The SX has leckie windows and a sunroof too.

grandpa; no way, not in my lifetime are you getting another Uno! It nearly killed me looking at the underneath of that car and how much work I had to put in!

*20 minutes later or persuading*

I will go away and think about it he last said. I think he thinks I am after something decent!

Shut it ;)

I considered cinq, there's this one nearby:

CINQUECENTO S P reg. 47000 miles. Good tyres. New seat covers. 10 months MoT. Tax til May. Group 1 insurance. Low tax. £400. _ Telephone XXXXXXXX

quote for NU - just over 1k?! Why?!

Insurance quote is unreal!!! My Marea (Insurance Group 14!) is only £280 fully comp from Direct Line. Damn, I must be older than I thought :(

Unreal? I know, Sub £600 for a 19 year old is unreal trust me! No idea why the cinq cost an extra £400.

I would be well happy with a Uno and £600 insurance....looks like my Grandpa won't be!

Insurance baffles and enrages me a lot. I have never been in a situation where I have been extrelely close or had to take serious evasive action to stop an accident, I cover around 8-10k miles a year on different kinds of roads in all sorts of conditions and I still have to pay thru the nose for insurance.
When I backed in to a Corsa off a driveway doesn't count cuz no damage happened and it was funny. lol

smurfhead said:
Insurance baffles and enrages me a lot. I have never been in a situation where I have been extrelely close or had to take serious evasive action to stop an accident, I cover around 8-10k miles a year on different kinds of roads in all sorts of conditions and I still have to pay thru the nose for insurance.
When I backed in to a Corsa off a driveway doesn't count cuz no damage happened and it was funny. lol

I use to be a consultant and covered 80k miles a year (Had a Laguna 3.0 then!!) I had 5 crashes in a single year, all of them apart from one were at roundabouts where people went into the back or side of me, the last one was caused by a tool overtaking on a country road by a bend. I also saw at least one crash everyday and witnessed a huge pile up on the M25 caused by an old dear in a morris minor.

In all these crashes not a single one was caused by a teenager. All were caused by people over 40 so I am also baffled by the persecution of young people who generally have faster reactions and drive safer than most older people.

However, there is a minority of idiots who push up the price for the rest of you by reckless driving or driving without insurance. You have all been tarred with the same brush!!!

I reckon the 899 Cinq wouldn't be much slower than a 999cc Uno. IIRC the Uno has 45bhp (the 999 FIRE unit replaced the old 903cc pushrod unit, as fitted to my old motor), and the 899 Cinq has 39bhp from a fuel-injected version of that 903cc unit. But the lower weight of the Cinq should make the accelaration pretty similar.

I think the 898cc engine gives 38bhp I think, but then again the car only weighs around 650kgs I think. I found mine quick enough. Held its own on the motorway and hills fine. If you don't mind a car sounding like an amplified hover-mover, its all good.

I expect the uno and cinq are pretty much the same weight? Also the extra torque of the 999 would make a difference? BTW: you're right, the 999cc Uno is 45BHP.

Anyway, the quote for the 899 came out £400 more...:( Crazy! Maybe I did something wrong but can't be bothered to go and retype in the info lol.

Tryfan, they have the required statistics even if your experience doesn't match it, they only charge what they need to and profit (insurance is price elastic).

Nuova; those cars would all have much higher insurance, so far I have got the 1.2 clio and 1.0 uno to be below 600/year. I will have to see what my grandpa says later when he has sat down. Personally I think he should stop driving, give me his xsara and everybody would be happy! (well, not quite but he's 87, he can't drive for much longer)

Back