Technical cheap mod help!

Currently reading:
Technical cheap mod help!

Pirate

Right heres the deal... ive got a punto 55s from 96 and its 1.1lire performance is getting abit boring after a year! Any suggestions to increase power and general performance on my depressingly small budget would be much apreciated. so basically how can i get the bugger faster for 200£ or under! :)

erm thanks, only a few of those suggestions made any sense but il try and search for those jargon words nd see what i can find.. as i said budget is probly only 200£!!!

Strip your rear seats out and anything you don't need, you'd be surprised at the diffrence it'll make plus its free.

get a half decent backbox and if you're going to get a K&N airfilter, get a panel filter. Even a new replacement airfilter regains a few bhp which would be lost with all the crud on the old one from the last 10 years.

A set of new spark plugs and leads won't do any harm, nor will an engine flush (like redex) or a service...

I've been told the punto 75 exhaust manifold can add a couple of bhp and it's a direct replacement, less than £50 from a scrappy I would imagine.

Last edited:
cinqysxmk2 said:
get a half decent backbox and if you're going to get an airfilter, get a panel filter. Even a new replacement airfilter adds a few bhp which would be lost with all the crud on it.

A set of new spark plugs and leads won't do any harm, nor will an engine flush (like redex) or a service...

I've been told the punto 75 exhaust manifold can add a couple of bhp and it's a direct replacement, less than £50 from a scrappy I would imagine.

Is this true about the 75 replacement? could be interesting to try :chin:

cinqysxmk2 said:
as the 75 manifold is a 4-1 manifold rather than the 55/60's 2-1 manifold it adds a few bhp, and as they are all from FIRE engines then they will fit together. it also mates with the cat aswell

Great stuff.. would it need declaring for insurance? (maybe dumb question? i dunno tho)

also.. how much bhp we looking at? or no clue? also.. how much labour? u reckon? :p!

softwarez said:
Great stuff.. would it need declaring for insurance? (maybe dumb question? i dunno tho)

also.. how much bhp we looking at? or no clue? also.. how much labour? u reckon? :p!

Insurance - yes, however as it is just from another car of the same age then tbh it wouldn't look any different to the original anyway...

BHP: not many lol! - 1 or 2... but there may be torque increases ?

Fitting: its just a case of undoing a couple of bolts and getting a few new gaskets and re-fitting the bolts with new manifold so you can do it yourself...

dave said:
am just in stages of fitting one of them to a 55, they have 2 pipes in to the cat,

Yeah? how easy is it? you got any advice? I wouldnt know where to begin.. it is a straight fit, literally?

cheers.

Trancendental said:
Just like to add quickely,

I bought 500w 4way 6x9s on the Market with a really long Frequency Range and they tump real good. They may be helped by the cars acoustics but for £35 they are off the tits (A good thing)

Cannot Judge sound by price!

(y)

Anyway, Night all.

right il price up a sports back box and a GSR air filter. (y) i duno about a chip though as ive heard they jus make u use more fuel and are generally a bad idea... is this true?? and i think the back seats will be staying in as i might aswell be a taxi half the time!!!

Back