IMG_1709.JPG

Panda (Classic) Charmanda(er) The Panda

Introduction

Name Change! Previously known as Charmania for anyone not in the know, she's had a slight rename, keeping the Char but sticking my favourite childhood Pokemon name in there, Charmander, mainly because the first time I ever encountered a Panda I was about 8 years old and Pokemon was my favourite thing in the whole world.

Some details,
1992 Fiat Panda 750 Mania
769cc FIRE engine.
Lowered 40mm.
Seicento Sporting Front Seats
Side Stripes for faster acceleration
Fiat 127 'Palio' Alloys.
Veglia Rev counter, so I can count my revs.

I washed her, wanted to take her somewhere nice for pictures but it hasn't been sunny for long enough to do that, so I'll get nicer pictures at some point....
Here she is now, Charmanda.

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

Sorry for the terrible lighting. Can't do much about the sun. :eek:
Animal Qwackers Live! No I missed that one, I do remember them though on the telly - typically bizzaro 70's kids tv programming. I did see the wombles live in york back in the day though. They were massive though, I always thought they'd be size of cats for some reason. I saw them at York theatre royal. A fairly old building with an award winning (in the 60's) glass and concrete extension.

Now that's out of the way what about this fellow Char' and his Digerymander?.....

Animal Qwackers Live! No I missed that one, I do remember them though on the telly - typically bizzaro 70's kids tv programming. I did see the wombles live in york back in the day though. They were massive though, I always thought they'd be size of cats for some reason. I saw them at York theatre royal. A fairly old building with an award winning (in the 60's) glass and concrete extension.

Now that's out of the way what about this fellow Char' and his Digerymander?.....

:ROFLMAO:

I did too - apparently they are 4-5 feet tall though! :eek: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wombles"]The Wombles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia@@AMEPARAM@@<title>The Wombles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</title>@@AMEPARAM@@The Wombles[/ame]

Right, now that's clear, Char as you say..... ;)

... Soo anyway :rolleyes:

Sell that Twango and give Char' a bit of love!
Funny you should say that, its pretty much what I'm doing. Hopefully Char' will get the work done this week and retested, kind of want to make use of my free retest but don't really know how to argue with him on the spare wheel point. I'm not sure he'll exactly just take my word for it :eek:

Funny you should say that, its pretty much what I'm doing. Hopefully Char' will get the work done this week and retested, kind of want to make use of my free retest but don't really know how to argue with him on the spare wheel point. I'm not sure he'll exactly just take my word for it :eek:

Just tell him politely that he's mistaken & the bonnet secures it - there is nothing else on that car. He'll have a hell of a job proving it's insecure once the bonnet's closed, so you could ask him to demonstrate how it's insecure if you're getting sarky (I would, but then I'd already have got stroppy with him at the first mot as I've turned into Victor Meldrew!). You can appeal against the refusal to pass it - he won't want you to do that as it's a pita for him! If he's unsure he should have a phone line to VOSA, but again he won't want to look silly. (y)

P.S. I don't think there's any requirement for a spare, so as a last resort take it out!

Last edited:

Just tell him to ring Fiat and get the original spec if he's arguing the point

I think it mentions it in the Haynes manual, though can't be sure as I can't find mine! Even at that though that's not an mot manual so he doesnt have to pay attention to it.

The way I would deal with it would be lift the spare wheel out (he isn't allowed to move anything in the engine bay) and ask him to point out the mechanism for holding the spare wheel.

Or remove the spare wheel entirely before the test, he can't test something that isn't there.

could i just say. Not that you should have to do this as its clear to me they are secured by the bonnet but..... Spare wheel is not a requirement for MOT so just take it out and leave it at home, get your MOT and then put it back, use some other place next time.

i'm not really saying its THE answer; merely pointing out you could do that. I would probably argue with him myself too.

I shall explain to him, after he passes it and presumably notices that I've removed the spare wheel. But I'll leave it at home anyway, shame I can't just leave my rear brakes at home too, they aren't there so theres nothing to test ;)

There seems to be a huge, huge clampdown on "insecure" items on cars at mot time, My Cinq went in and got loads of stupid fail points on allegedly insecure items.

Insecure fuel filter (clamped in via all the pipes and a big metal bracket, the whole bracket can be moved about 1mm with force, the filter is secure in it, has passed every mot with that, suddenly it's a fail?)

Insecure horn wiring (purely because it wasn't clamped tight to the mount and scuttle, couldn't rub against anything)

and most hilariously of all, insecure wiring to ecu... because (and this is a cracker), if you root around in the engine bay, you can find the diagnostic plug and extract it and if you pull it out of it's wedged point under other secured wires, you can get the plastic plug to touch the body air filter.

Oh yeah, and an insecure battery, which is strapped in and incapable of falling over even without the strap because it's wedged in tight between the scuttle, inner wing and inlet manifold (official mot guidelines state that the only reason a car should fail with an insecure battery is if it's likely to not remain upright).

Let's just say a lot of angry words were exchanged!

Back