Technical Carb float height, with the spring compressed or not?

Currently reading:
Technical Carb float height, with the spring compressed or not?

smart51

Established member
I have a new needle valve for my carb and I noticed that the float looks a little high. The needle has a spherical ball on the end, pushed out by a spring. So does the old one, but the weight of the float compresses the old spring when the carb lid is turned upside down. The new spring is obviously stiffer.

So, do I set the float height with the spring compressed or uncompressed?

I have a new needle valve for my carb and I noticed that the float looks a little high. The needle has a spherical ball on the end, pushed out by a spring. So does the old one, but the weight of the float compresses the old spring when the carb lid is turned upside down. The new spring is obviously stiffer.

The pictures I have seen measuring float height usually show it hanging vertical so I would have thought not a lot of pressure on the needle spring, just my opinion.:)

No depression of the ball whatsoever.

No depression of the ball whatsoever.
To measure the float hieght, hold the carb top VERTICALLY so that the float is just hanging down. The easiest way to measure the float hieght is with the bare shank of the appropriate sized drill (7mm) between the body of the float and the carb-top gasket (the gasket must be in place)---much easier that trying to actually measure it.

Another way to do this; images posted previously from 2014.

KNO_3006.JPG

KNO_3008.JPG

Back