Technical To engine flush or not to flush

Currently reading:
Technical To engine flush or not to flush

Sbf500

Morning all.

It is service time and my question is, is it a good idea to use a cleaning additive to remove carbon prior to an oil change / do a flush or not.

The engine is a standard 498cc in a 71 car with 70,000 miles on the clock. Only standard 20w50 mineral oil has ever been used, ranging from Halfords own brand to currently using Pistonezze. The only work ever done on the engine is the head. The bottom end has never been rebuilt. It doesn’t smoke or particularly use oil.

So would an internal clean help, or could removing carbon deposits cause me more hassle.

Your thoughts most welcome.
Al

My plan had been to use an engine flush during my first oil change, until the engine broke, so I just drained and dropped the oil pan, easy peasy, no engine flush used during the oil change.

IMO pan removal / replacement is superior to engine flush. A replacement oil pan gasket is suggested.

Note that blocking the driver's side higher will aid draining the oil pan, past the oil drain plug lip.

In my case removal of the rocker arm rod, removal of the end rockers and cleaning the internals of the rocker arm had a large benefit.

Of course the normal rocker clearance service will need to be performed after assembly.

53540209562_c7fddaba87_c-jpg.439572

53541514350_3d77fcc64d_c-jpg.439573

53538354825_f084014c79_c-jpg.439565

53538354820_4c14c8d86d_c-jpg.439566

Morning all.

It is service time and my question is, is it a good idea to use a cleaning additive to remove carbon prior to an oil change / do a flush or not.

The engine is a standard 498cc in a 71 car with 70,000 miles on the clock. Only standard 20w50 mineral oil has ever been used, ranging from Halfords own brand to currently using Pistonezze. The only work ever done on the engine is the head. The bottom end has never been rebuilt. It doesn’t smoke or particularly use oil.

So would an internal clean help, or could removing carbon deposits cause me more hassle.

Your thoughts most welcome.
Al
Typically its not needed every time. If the engine has been regularly serviced and not driven lightly, there should be minimal sludge or deposits in the engine.

Just remember to give the centrifugal oil cleaner a good cleaning, removing all buildup in the corners of the pulley, and ensure no loose particles are left. And you should be good to go. These are very simple engines, and if maintained properly can last many many miles.

One thing if available is to either use a high zinc content oil, or add a zinc additive to help reduce wear on these flat tappet engines (sometimes a conventional grade diesel oil has a high zinc content depending on country).
20w50 is the optimal weight to use for these air cooled engines.

Thanks both, I think with that in mind I will stick to my normal routine but yes have been wondering about an oil with more Zinc but an additive could be an easy option.

Al

Back