Technical Carb imb28 overflow

Currently reading:
Technical Carb imb28 overflow

Flock

Today I went for my second drive this year and after 10min the engine died and would not fire up again. I noticed there was (much) fuel on my baseplate from the carb. I opened up the carb to see where the fuel was coming from.
See picture: there was about 1cm of fuel on top of the throttle butterfly plate (red arrow) and the gasket was all wet (blue arrow.)

After twiddling a bit with the float and re-assembling the top of the carb I got it running again. This was all done on the roadside with the few tools I had. I got the car home. Now my own experience thinks/tells me the floatchamber overflow and flooded the carb and engine. And rebuilding the carb (and replacing the needle valve of the float.)

Any second thoughts or am I on the right track?

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 18
It sounds like the needle valve was not closing. It could be because the float height is set wrong (so not closing until the fuel level is very high). It could be that the float valve is sticking, it should move freely. Or it could be that it isn't sealing when it is pushed up.

I have a really short screwdriver so I can remove the top without removing the whole carb. A screwdriver bit in a ratchet handle will do the same job.

It could also be that the float has a pin hole in it and has filled with fuel and will no longer float. If you take the float out and shake it you can listen for fuel sloshing about inside!

Float was ok. Rebuild the carb and will see what it will do when i'm going for a testdrive. It started and iddled ok after a quick test. So fingers crossed.

Back