General Car won't start

Currently reading:
General Car won't start

AmyMalta

Need some help please!! 1999 brava 1.9TD. Original problem was starter motor which I replaced but as car was sat for 10months something else has gone wrong. Engines turning over but won't kick up. Battery fully charged. Added 5litre of diesel. Tried jump and push starting. Posting photos as I'm not sure what bits they are or if they have any relevance. One photo a wire is cut. Another photo a tube had popped out. Would this affect the starting? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230206_170504_edit_282423772439195.jpg
    IMG_20230206_170504_edit_282423772439195.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20230206_170459_edit_282403156883990.jpg
    IMG_20230206_170459_edit_282403156883990.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20230206_170450_edit_282372006401182.jpg
    IMG_20230206_170450_edit_282372006401182.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 47
Do you have 2 keys..??
I don't have the second key. The code light on dash goes off when I start up ignition. The other thing is when it was sat for all that time the tank was near empty. I tried to start it before I added the 5 litre of diesel. With the turbo diesel is there a hand primer pump? Would it help to locate this do you reckon? Thanks!

I don't have the second key. The code light on dash goes off when I start up ignition. The other thing is when it was sat for all that time the tank was near empty. I tried to start it before I added the 5 litre of diesel. With the turbo diesel is there a hand primer pump? Would it help to locate this do you reckon? Thanks!
Look on here for details :)

Hello thanks for all the hints and tips.. Got the car started after some priming and coxing and a long tow start.. Big relief! Its now overheating to a massive extent.. Looking for advice on thermostat location and radiator drain on brava 1.9tdi model. (I think it's obvious Im feeling my way around getting things fixed but at the moment as fund's can't stretch to a mechanic. But I am enjoying learning about it all. So again thank you for the advice!)

Hello thanks for all the hints and tips.. Got the car started after some priming and coxing and a long tow start.. Big relief! Its now overheating to a massive extent.. Looking for advice on thermostat location and radiator drain on brava 1.9tdi model. (I think it's obvious Im feeling my way around getting things fixed but at the moment as fund's can't stretch to a mechanic. But I am enjoying learning about it all. So again thank you for the advice!)
That parts system should help massively :)

Is the radiator fan coming on? Have you checked if both radiator hoses are getting hot after its come up to temp? Better to check before replacing stuff

Is the radiator fan coming on? Have you checked if both radiator hoses are getting hot after its come up to temp? Better to check before replacing stuff
Ran it today for 20 minutes.. Just sat in yard with all heating on.. And revved a bit.. The two hoses from radiator got hot.. The coolant reservoir got hot.. Engine got hot.. All touchable though with care. Fans did not come on at all.. The temp guage on dash has always been broken so it's no use for me.. No steam today but maybe its because it was only sat. Is it normal for the coolant reservoir to become heated?

Hi again

It will all get HOT in time..as the Hot coolant is circulated :)

There is a chance that the temperature sensor is nroken

No display..and no control of the fan

Do you have 1 fan or 2?

They will be between radiator and engine :)
Really appreciating your help here!! I'm fairly clueless to it all but getting there! There are two fans.. Both rotate freely when I pushed them..

Back