Technical Car won't start.. Again!!

Currently reading:
Technical Car won't start.. Again!!

AmyMalta

Hello.. Looking for some help.. Have 1999 fiat brava 1.9JTD.. It will not start just a click when turn key.. Brand new battery just installed.. It started with a bump start but not a normal start.. Could it be starter motor again? Replaced starter a couple month back with a second hand starter. Thanks!

Hello.. Looking for some help.. Have 1999 fiat brava 1.9JTD.. It will not start just a click when turn key.. Brand new battery just installed.. It started with a bump start but not a normal start.. Could it be starter motor again? Replaced starter a couple month back with a second hand starter. Thanks!
If it is possible safely to get someone to work the key with your hand on the starter motor you may be able to feel /hear if the starter is clicking the solenoid as though it is trying to work.
Another "trick is to give the starter a light bang with a piece of wood (not hammer!) at the same time as someone turns the key, if it tries to work then it indicates a duff starter.
If none of this work or if you want to check this first, find which is the wire to the starter from the ignition switch and see if it goes live (12 volts) using a voltmeter when you turn the key. Normally if it is a fault at that end then you don't hear any click at starter end.
Note as I said "Safely" !!!!;)

My 91 Uno used to do this, the starter would refused to engage (in winter mostly). But I always had a spare motor that I had reconed myself (still have it)

Most times the solenoid stuck, hitting it with a old ratchet always did the trick.
All I did was strip the motors housing, grease the sliding pinion, clean the motor windings, check the brushes.

A quick continuity lecky check, and test run.
Then cover it in Wd40 or similar.

And stick it on. When the other started to fail.

Then at some juncture, do the same with the one I removed

Likely to be a poor connection

I seem to recall it was parked for months

Start by checking the Starter Connections.. as they are recent

Then Earth cable ;-)

Back