Technical Car pulling to one side when cornering

Currently reading:
Technical Car pulling to one side when cornering

still sounds like the arms rear Bush, at least you know its a mechanical problem

pull down on the anti roll bar, make sure the caps over the bushes haven't snapped

the only only other loud thumping noise I can think of is a snapped subframe bolt

My bottom arm bush was so trashed the car was skipping over motorway banding but it never made any noises.

The list of potential damage after a pothole incident is endless. The car should be properly inspected.

Finally got round to looking at it today.

Stripped the front end apart, and found the culprit.

Although it looked fine, and seemed solid when on the ground, and jacked up in the air, the "pin" on the lower arm that connects to the hub was ruined. This was the o/s arm, the opposite side to the pothole.

I took the arm out, and the pin was wobbling all over the place, and the pin itself would lift up and down around 10mm.

Obviously with the forces going through it while cornering, the pin moved, which allowed the hub to move enough to affect the wheel.

Anyway, the whole lot is done and replaced now.

Did both sides, new arms, droplinks, inner and outer tie rods + gaiters. Just got to pop round the local tyre place tomorrow to get the tracking done.

Finally got round to looking at it today.

Stripped the front end apart, and found the culprit.

Although it looked fine, and seemed solid when on the ground, and jacked up in the air, the "pin" on the lower arm that connects to the hub was ruined. This was the o/s arm, the opposite side to the pothole.

I took the arm out, and the pin was wobbling all over the place, and the pin itself would lift up and down around 10mm.

Obviously with the forces going through it while cornering, the pin moved, which allowed the hub to move enough to affect the wheel.

Anyway, the whole lot is done and replaced now.

Did both sides, new arms, droplinks, inner and outer tie rods + gaiters. Just got to pop round the local tyre place tomorrow to get the tracking done.

Its always satisfying to find and repair these issues yourself! Glad its sorted! Potholes round our way are beyond a joke! I'm aware of most of the worst ones and can avoid them most of the time and traffic allowing (even though I probably appear to be drunk in so doing!!).
It may be worth getting pictures of the offending pothole (with measurements etc) as well as the damage incurred and chasing the council for some compensation. My Father in law was successful after ruining a wheel and tyre on his Prius after hitting a ridiculously large pothole...
Just a thought.......

Cheers,

Rich

Back