Car breaks down on the motorway - what would you do?

Currently reading:
Car breaks down on the motorway - what would you do?

I have noticed when peoples cars break down on the motorway and they are on the hard shoulder they get out of the car and wait by the car.

I have seen this loads of times even when its throwing it down.

When my cars have broken down on the motorway i sit inside the car and wait to be rescued.

Should I be waiting outside the car :confused: Hopefully i wont need to know :eek:

I would get out of the car, having pulled it across as far as I can on the hard shoulder and stand behind the nearest barrier or on the grass verge, rain or no rain.

The hard shoulder is a dangerous place - how many times have you seen lorries veer across the lane markings?

I think you're supposed to get out, or at least sit on the passenger side, away from the traffic in case someone comes off the road and ploughs into your car. Talked about it in my pass plus thing last week but I have forgotten now :eek:

i've only been broken down on the motorway once before, and i hid up the grass verge behind a bridge. I always have a jacket in the boot i can wear if its cold out.

Not meant to wait in the car in case someone hits the back of you parked up.

Yeah, staying in the car is the worst place you can possibly be. Remember, there are cars doing 70mph just inches away from you...................always stay behind the barrier. Getting a bit wet and cold is preferential to extracting yourself from the front end of a car, or worse...................

Stoogle said:
I would get out of the car, having pulled it across as far as I can on the hard shoulder and stand behind the nearest barrier or on the grass verge, rain or no rain.

The hard shoulder is a dangerous place - how many times have you seen lorries veer across the lane markings?
:yeahthat: I have seen video footage of what can happen if you do sit in the car, so personally i'd be as far away from that road as i could get :)

Yes, as far away from the road as possible, behind a barrier preferably. A car stopped on the hard shoulder is a distraction for other drivers, and it's not unknown for them to be so distracted by it that they drive in to it. :rolleyes:
H

KoArAnG said:
:yeahthat: I have seen video footage of what can happen if you do sit in the car, so personally i'd be as far away from that road as i could get :)

Yeah, I remember seeing a clip of a car that had been pulled over by a copper. They were doing whatever in the police car when a passing car ploughed into the pulled over car :eek:

I have seen the vid too, not sure if it was fixed or not but the truck that hit her car (a 7tonner I would reckon) missed her leg by maybe a foot if that:eek:

Cars are designed to be crashed into something, when something rams you up the ass at 70mph and esp when it can weigh upto 28tonnes:eek: your head is going to depart from your body and be left on the rear windscreen/front of said 28tonne truck:yuck:

How many times do you see trucks arse ending each other at 60-70mph along the motorway then one will get a swing on (in the wind) and sway into the hardshoulder randomly and of course they can't see anything in the HS as they are soo close to the truck infront.

Pick on my wee Panda, why don't you... :D
I'm used to it by now...
Did you know that my roof bars are really handles for picking it up? ;)

You're either supposed to exit by passenger door and leave the vehicle and sit on verge and then ring AA/RAC/Green Flag etc or the advice for a woman on her own especially at night is stay in your car on the passenger side strapped in and call for breakdown co.

Not sure wat stats are on getting hit from behind on hard shoulder and killed against being preyed on by some lunatic and killed :(

Back