500 Can The MultiECUScan cycle The ABS Module?

Currently reading:
500 Can The MultiECUScan cycle The ABS Module?

Bach1

Hello everyone, I was told to post here my doubt as I could have more feedback on this doubt.
My girlfriend has a 2008 FIAT 500 1.2 8v and I'm planning in replacing the front braking system (pads, discs and flexible hoses) and flush the fluid system. I was checking the workshop manual and found out I would need to cycle the ABS module in order do clear the system from any air trapped inside. Is this something that can be done with MultiECUScan?

Thanks everyone!

Yes.

From MES:

Hydraulic Unit Bleed
This procedure will flush the hydraulic lines of the ABS module. Perform the procedure after replacing the ABS unit, or when changing the brake fluid. Keep the brake pedal pressed during the entire procedure. The pedal will first sink to floor and then raise back to top.
Basically the procedure will open all drain valves and fill both accumulators with brake fluid from the master cylinder, then it will use the hydraulic pump to return all fluid back to master cylinder. This way the fluid will be cycled through all internal ABS hydraulic lines.
Before executing this procedure make sure that there is enough brake fluid in the reservoir and also loosen its cap.

There is also

Circuit1 and Circuit 2 Bleeds
This procedure helps to bleed/flush the hydraulic brake lines through the bleeder on each wheel. It uses the ESP pump and valves to perform this operation and does not work on basic ABS systems. The brake systems use two separate hydraulic circuits and each circuit controls two diagonal wheels (FL-RR and FR-RL).
Before executing this procedure make sure that there is enough brake fluid in the reservoir and also loosen its cap.
Perform the operation in following order:
1. Loosen the bleeder on the front wheel (FL or FR depending on selected circuit)
2. Execute the procedure
3. Tighten the bleeder
You have to perform this a few times in order to flush all fluid from the line.
4. Repeat the above steps for the rear diagonal wheel.
WARNING: Do not execute the procedure without opening the bleeder!

When I had my Panda back axle zinc metal sprayed, I pinched off the rear brake hoses and let it wait. But when I got back to the job, the far side rear hose was not properly closed and all the fluid had run out. (Oh F, OMG, etc.). The reservoir was dry and there were no drips from the cut brake hose** The system bled normally and has given no problems. I don't recommend doing this, but it suggests the ABS block only has to be electronically cycled when a new one is fitted.

** I cut the old lines and fitted HEL braided lines from chassis hard line all the way to the calipers (600mm for disc brakes, 500mm for drums).

Last edited:
Hydraulic Unit Bleed
This procedure will flush the hydraulic lines of the ABS module. Perform the procedure after replacing the ABS unit, or when changing the brake fluid. Keep the brake pedal pressed during the entire procedure. The pedal will first sink to floor and then raise back to top.
Basically the procedure will open all drain valves and fill both accumulators with brake fluid from the master cylinder, then it will use the hydraulic pump to return all fluid back to master cylinder. This way the fluid will be cycled through all internal ABS hydraulic lines.
Hi all - if anyone has done this (after replacing an ABS module), would you first try bleeding the whole system in the normal way or do this MES procedure first?

And is it literally a case of following the instructions - no action required at bleed nipples?

(Just preparing to replace the ABS module on my 169 Panda)

Many thanks if anyone has intel.

Nick

Mes has plenty of warnings about using it to mess with abs but if replacing abs unit I think its required. Normal brake beeding is as any other non abs car. A pressurized bleeding kit makes life easier. Fill the reservoir and allow it time for air above the abs to rise up to the reservoir. No point in pumping air through a new unit. A new abs ujnit should have instructions to cover this. I believe a proxy alignment may also be needed. Who knows why. I would bleed normally as the abs probably has been tested and likely full of fluid. UNLESS of course instructions say otherwise. The abs unit is unlikely to love being forced to run unless its full of fluid. I will have a long look at mes and let you know if I see any other info not already mentioned in the earlier posts

Last edited:
Is this procedure mandatory when flushing the system on Bravo t-get 2007?

Regular maintenance, disks/pads swap does NOT require messing with ABS whatsoever.
You should dump old fluid (via bleeder) while retracting the pistons back, so you don't push dirt up into the ABS unit.
That's it. This is the source of problems (old fluid in the calipers). Not tiny amount inside ABS.
Yes, pressure method is the best (0,5-1,0 bar into the reservoir). Not vacuum rubbish. Some will argue the gravity method is "the best" (but it's slow).
That all (long story short) about brakes. There's no mysteries. It doesn't require voodoo rituals, order of bleeding etc.
If you do brakes, do the clutch fluid too while you're there.

I found a service shop to bleed the system. Manually, without a pump. Is there any risks for the clutch after the procedure, since it also use a brake fluid

I will talk to them. They didn't mention anything about the clutch and I expected that renewing brake fluid will renew the clutch flood too

Regular maintenance, disks/pads swap does NOT require messing with ABS whatsoever.
You should dump old fluid (via bleeder) while retracting the pistons back, so you don't push dirt up into the ABS unit.
That's it. This is the source of problems (old fluid in the calipers). Not tiny amount inside ABS.
Yes, pressure method is the best (0,5-1,0 bar into the reservoir). Not vacuum rubbish. Some will argue the gravity method is "the best" (but it's slow).
That all (long story short) about brakes. There's no mysteries. It doesn't require voodoo rituals, order of bleeding etc.
If you do brakes, do the clutch fluid too while you're there.
I've used the MES ABS controller on an Alfa. I'd had to replace a brake pipe (the metal from ABS block to flexi). I couldn't get it to bleed using a decent pressure filler - air had got into all the pipes and it was having none of it. After what felt like twenty laps and 50 gallons of fluid I went to Google to see how others had solved it and found that MES could. Revelation. And a doddle to do. On the plus side it did get a thorough fluid change.

Back