Technical Campervan Conversion - RF Antenna

Currently reading:
Technical Campervan Conversion - RF Antenna

goozer

I've recently purchased a Series 8 Fiat Ducato XLWB Tecnico, which I am in the process of converting.

There's an RF Antenna on the roof inside the cargo area which I believe relates to the keyless entry system (but I maybe wrong). Does anyone know if it can be relocated as it will be covered up otherwise by the ceiling I will be installing. I would like to relocate to the garage area of the van if possible.

It is riveted to the roof beam so it seems that Fiat really don't want it moved - but I have to do something in order to install a ceiling.

Thanks
Guy

Attachments

• IMG_7219.jpg
    IMG_7219.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 118
I cant see why you shouldnt move it if there is sufficient spare wire attached. If it were me I would mark the location somehow in the wall A small staineless screw or brass tackso you can find it in the future and roof over it. Add a couple of wooden blocks to keep the roof sheet from rubbing and just flex the roof sheet over / round it. The problem with diturbing such things is it often just plain mucks them up. My experience with caravan roofing is that as ;long as you are using a standard thickness sheet you can do this and imperfections of an inch or so realy dont show out once its all fitted and trimmed with a little bit of fiddling so resulting level differences are not too sharp. Sorry not to be able to offer specific information.

Hi

This keyless entry hub appears to operate at both low radio frequencies (125 kHz) and at UHF (433 MHz), and has a number of wired connections including to the vehicle canbus. The LF antennas are outboard, but I suspect the UHF antenna is within the unit.

I tend to agree with The Panda Nut.

I guess in principle you could move it, but you would run the risk that any wiring extensions (if needed) would upset its operation, as would changing its radio properties (e.g. the range of physical locations where the remote key would need to be outside the vehicle for it to operate). One assumes it was placed fairly centrally for radio reception as well as convenience reasons.

I suggest you hide it behind the ceiling with a small access panel just in case you ever need to get to it. It is important avoid anything metallic (like aluminised bubblewrap, foil backed board etc) covering the unit or you may screen off/detune the radio antenna operation at UHF. Ordinary wood, fibreglass etc should be OK, but you might like to put a trial piece in place and test it out.

Alternatively, if you do move it, check out the keyless entry before and after the move to ensure that all is well before any fixings are too permanent.

Attachments

• Continental RF Hub-1389950.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 49
Panda Nut and Anthony489 thank you for the quick response.

Looking at the unit more closely it looks like that unit is riveted to the black bracket, and its actually the bracket that is then bolted to the roof beam. So it does look like it will be relatively easy to move.

So it is something I can test quite easily.

I would prefer it in the garage area - that way its nice and accessible.

I've recently purchased a Series 8 Fiat Ducato XLWB Tecnico, which I am in the process of converting.

There's an RF Antenna on the roof inside the cargo area which I believe relates to the keyless entry system (but I maybe wrong). Does anyone know if it can be relocated as it will be covered up otherwise by the ceiling I will be installing. I would like to relocate to the garage area of the van if possible.

It is riveted to the roof beam so it seems that Fiat really don't want it moved - but I have to do something in order to install a ceiling.

Thanks
Guy
Hi Guy
I’ve also just started a new Ducati conversion and are thinking of moving the antenna from roof.
Were did you move it to or did you work around it
Mike

Hi Guy
I’ve also just started a new Ducati conversion and are thinking of moving the antenna from roof.
Were did you move it to or did you work around it
Mike
Effectively you can move it to wherever you want, the only limit is the cabling. Don’t go cutting n shutting it. My only concern would be placing it near other electrical equipment that may generate interference, I know they were relocated on fridge vans both to stop interference and because they cut out part of roof and insulate the whole box

Hi Porta
I have just changed my double passenger seat to a brand new passenger seat
I took the earth of battery and the seat tension plug of double seat and refitted single seat and plug and reconnected earth and I have an air bag fault on dash
Do I have to go to fiat dealer for it to be taken of

Mike

If you wire a 2.2 ohm resistor (or sidelight bulb) in place of the seat belt pretensioner it should fool the body computer into thinking the pretensioner is still connected and the air bag light should go off - at least it does on the X2/50 Ducato

Back