Cameras that watch for people blocking crossing/junction

Currently reading:
Cameras that watch for people blocking crossing/junction

Hi,

I was in stop and go traffic yesterday in an area I'd never been through before and failed to notice that I didn't have enough room to make it to the other end of a small junction before it was too late. The back end of my car ended up being halfway covering the pedestrian crossing (where those wiggly lines are). I then noticed some CCTV type cameras on top of a pole and I've heard about people being caught by them before.

What's the likelihood of me being caught by them and what's the fine/points if I am?

Cheers

When i got done by cctv car in Chingford for doing something i shouldn't have done - all be i the only sign saying not to do this was blocked by a bus so i couldn't possibly see it!:mad:

£60 fine - No points

Took 1-2 months for the fine to come though the post

What you've seen is almost certainly a PUFFIN crossing, becoming the most common pedestrian crossing in the country. P.U.F.In is an acronym for Pedestrian User Friendly Infra-red. The system (supposedly) works to cut out the annoying habit of some pedestrians to press the button and then cross because there's nothing coming. Which leads to drivers being frustrated by having to stop when there's no-one waiting.

Each pole has three infra-red sensors on them. One points across the crossing, one is aimed at oncoming traffic and the other detects pedestrians waiting to cross.

The idea is that if someone presses the button the sensor detects oncoming vehicles. Another one detects whether there is anybody waiting and then cancels the instruction to change the lights (in theory) if their isn't. The third checks to see if the pedestrian is still on the crossing, and if not, changes the lights back to green more quickly.

The idea is for these to replace the Pelican Crossing which stays on green for a set length of time, followed by flashing amber. The PUFFIN doesn't have a flashing amber light.

So there you have it. Cleared up nicely.

What you've seen is almost certainly a PUFFIN crossing, becoming the most common pedestrian crossing in the country. P.U.F.In is an acronym for Pedestrian User Friendly Infra-red. The system (supposedly) works to cut out the annoying habit of some pedestrians to press the button and then cross because there's nothing coming. Which leads to drivers being frustrated by having to stop when there's no-one waiting.

Each pole has three infra-red sensors on them. One points across the crossing, one is aimed at oncoming traffic and the other detects pedestrians waiting to cross.

The idea is that if someone presses the button the sensor detects oncoming vehicles. Another one detects whether there is anybody waiting and then cancels the instruction to change the lights (in theory) if their isn't. The third checks to see if the pedestrian is still on the crossing, and if not, changes the lights back to green more quickly.

The idea is for these to replace the Pelican Crossing which stays on green for a set length of time, followed by flashing amber. The PUFFIN doesn't have a flashing amber light.

So there you have it. Cleared up nicely.

Thanks for your input but I reckon it wasn't one of them, the cameras were bigger than the sensors on the puffin crossing, and on a seperate pole a little bit further back than the traffic light. We'll see :(

Although you shouldn't block a pedestrian crossing, it's not really an offence. If you stop on a crossing it mustn't be intentional. If you block a junction, even if it's a Box Junction, I'm 99% certain that if you are prosecuted then it would only be a £30 non-endorsable FPN for Unnecessary Obstruction rather than an Endorsable one; the same goes for stopping on a pedestrian crossing. Don't forget also, that in order to prosecute for Obstruction, you must be able to prove not simply that someone blocked a junction/crossing but that they did cause an obstruction

I wouldn't worry unduly about it, if indeed you are doing, but just take care to drive in a manner that's considerate to others.

Last edited:
You could always wait 28 days. If nothing happens, phone your Council's Highways Department and ask them. They can always tell you to bugger off and mind your own business.....on the other hand I think they'll tell you what it is you've seen.

It wasn't a place local to me, I was just following some google maps directions to go somewhere I'd never been before (was actually buying something off a forum member :cool:) and I probably couldn't find it again if I tried.
It's not like I make a habit out of blocking junctions/crossings though so I don't really need to know whether that's what the cameras were for, I'm just gonna wait and see if I get a fine or not.

Back