General Bye Bye Tipo

Currently reading:
General Bye Bye Tipo

So, I am in the process of binning my 2023 Tipo Cross MHEV... Sad times.

I love the Tipo Cross, however it doesn't seem to love me as much - and after several breakdowns in the last couple of months I've lost faith in the car.

The last couple of months with the car have been very taxing;
  • You may remember the mayo on the dipstick thread; well the engine is knackered according to Fiat - replacement is required. However, Fiat have been very helpful told me that it could be up to 4 months for a replacement to come through!
  • Radio head unit has failed - radio randomly switches off every 2 minutes, hard reboots and then comes back on after 2 minutes displaying nothing but the Fiat logo. Infuriating! Again, new head unit ordered, but unbelievably on back order!
  • Automatic transmission fault - red gearbox light, unable to select even numbered gears and limp mode. Can't even pull a skin off a rice pudding. Hard reset on the battery clears till the next time it has a hiccup.
  • Headlight unit failure on dipped beam on the nearside. Replacement part in stock, awaiting fitment
I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can get back very close to what I paid for the car when I bought it back in June 2023. At only 6,950 miles I'm incredibly let down by this specific Tipo - my 1 litre Cross was perfect (and had parking sensors and Android Auto!). Fiat UK are as useful as a chocolate teapot - saying things happen when you mass produce a car; but I may take it down the road of the car is unfit and a refund required (will have to read up on the rules and law around that first!).

When the car works, it is lovely - comfortable, quick and really rather frugal (long term average is above 60mpg). First service is due by the end of February, however I don't think I'll be getting that done with a quoted price of £396.

I have gone and bought myself a Seat banger for a few hundred quid to get me to work and back for the meantime - Fiat have offered me a loan car, but I don't fit in a 500 very well!

Just out of curiosity what failed with the engine?

So, I am in the process of binning my 2023 Tipo Cross MHEV... Sad times.

I love the Tipo Cross, however it doesn't seem to love me as much - and after several breakdowns in the last couple of months I've lost faith in the car.

The last couple of months with the car have been very taxing;
  • You may remember the mayo on the dipstick thread; well the engine is knackered according to Fiat - replacement is required. However, Fiat have been very helpful told me that it could be up to 4 months for a replacement to come through!
  • Radio head unit has failed - radio randomly switches off every 2 minutes, hard reboots and then comes back on after 2 minutes displaying nothing but the Fiat logo. Infuriating! Again, new head unit ordered, but unbelievably on back order!
  • Automatic transmission fault - red gearbox light, unable to select even numbered gears and limp mode. Can't even pull a skin off a rice pudding. Hard reset on the battery clears till the next time it has a hiccup.
  • Headlight unit failure on dipped beam on the nearside. Replacement part in stock, awaiting fitment
I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can get back very close to what I paid for the car when I bought it back in June 2023. At only 6,950 miles I'm incredibly let down by this specific Tipo - my 1 litre Cross was perfect (and had parking sensors and Android Auto!). Fiat UK are as useful as a chocolate teapot - saying things happen when you mass produce a car; but I may take it down the road of the car is unfit and a refund required (will have to read up on the rules and law around that first!).

When the car works, it is lovely - comfortable, quick and really rather frugal (long term average is above 60mpg). First service is due by the end of February, however I don't think I'll be getting that done with a quoted price of £396.

I have gone and bought myself a Seat banger for a few hundred quid to get me to work and back for the meantime - Fiat have offered me a loan car, but I don't fit in a 500 very well!
Talk to Trading Standards, tehy were very helpful when I had to do this a few years back. If you act, do it decisively and make it crystal clear you are not going to back off. A good garage will recognise the signs and do the right thing. I wroye a letter, wording as per trading standards regarding the law. I put the keys and documents in an envelope, parked the car in teh Dealer Owners space and handed the whole lot in. I didnt ask for or wait for a response, just left. I cancelled the finance payments having told them it wasnt fir for purpose and I would pay no more. Thankfully teh garage owner read my letter and agreed the saga was bad he called in about an hour and a repalcement car was provided, It sounds to me like you have a case if the car was bought new.

What id the firefly or engine or the Peugeot engine they now fit to the car!

It sounds like it's the 1.5 MHEV auto, which is a Fiat engine - same one used in the 500x, Jeep Renegade, Compass, Alfa Tonale etc.

The only Peugeot engine is the 1.2 in the Jeep Avenger & forthcoming Fiat 600, but the Tipo has only had FCA engines - Very rare to have an engine problem other than MultiAir failure on Fiat engines in my experience, so this sounds extremely unlucky, especially as the Tipo's usually have very little go wrong beside DAB aerial bases & suspension parts.

It sounds like it's the 1.5 MHEV auto, which is a Fiat engine - same one used in the 500x, Jeep Renegade, Compass, Alfa Tonale etc.

The only Peugeot engine is the 1.2 in the Jeep Avenger & forthcoming Fiat 600, but the Tipo has only had FCA engines - Very rare to have an engine problem other than MultiAir failure on Fiat engines in my experience, so this sounds extremely unlucky, especially as the Tipo's usually have very little go wrong beside DAB aerial bases & suspension parts.
Ive not heard of a fiat 1.5 litre engine before unless I've missed it

Edit just googled it it's an upscaled firefly engine

Back