Technical Buying help and advice needed

Currently reading:
Technical Buying help and advice needed

Dermot

Hi all - help and advice needed,
I usually dip into the Multipla section but my son is trying to buy a cheapish Punto at the moment and I need a bit of help. I have looked at a 2001 ELX model (8 valve). A couple of questions.
1) The engine management light is on. The seller tells me it just needs to be reset since an alternator was fitted in the last couple of weeks - I did not think the punto management system was that complex? It drives ok though. Any ideas?
2) Does the ELX model have ABS fitted as standard? (Irish models may be different). On a test drive, while I could hardly get the brakes to lock, I certaily could not feel the abs system working. Also the abs light does not light up when the ignition is turned on.
3) Engine heated up quickly and the fan came on when left to idle as expected, but it took an age for the fan to trip out again. No other signs of head gasket failure, but I feel the engine might be running a little hot.
Any comments or help appreciated.

Never had my EM light come on :S

Other factors sound pretty common lol

Brakes probably just need new pads/disks (front)/drums (rear). Pretty sure the ABS wasn't fitted as standard - well, I know I don't have it and mine is only a year older than what you're looking at lol

Hot engine - so long as it hovers between the 1/4 and 3/4 mark on the gauge it's acceptable. Mine generally sits at 1/4 to 1/2.

I'm sure it goes without saying: If in doubt, walk away!

ECU light - failed or renewed alternator isn't going to put the ECU light on. If the engine appears to be running OK (and that includes cold starting and hot starting),the light may indicate a stored error from the past. However, these errors usually clear the light automatically after a few cycles without recurrence of the fault so I would suspect there is still a problem. The only way to sort it is to apply a code reader. You should be able to do this yourself for the cost a cheap interface cable (about a tenner) that you use with a laptop. See my Guide on this forum under Punto.

ABS - don't know but lack of warning light illumination when ign turned on would lead me to suspect it doesn't have this fitted.

Engine heat - Puntos are prone to HG failure. Symptoms are the usual mayo in oil filler cap, bubbles in coolant on revving, loss of coolant, emulsified oil. The only real way to tell is to test compression. Control of the radiator fan is via the ECU (determined by water temperature sensor). That could of course be linked to the ECU warning lamp being on. Temp gauge about half way is typical.

Suggest if you are still tempted, advise vendor of cost to have ECU lamp reset by dealer (about £40-£50) during your bartering. Your only real risk is if the HG is failing. Unless you'd do it yourself, it can cost a few hundred bucks.

red

Last edited:
Thanks for fast replies all. The temp gauge was lying just a little over half way. I feel I might pass on this though - lots of fish in the sea!

Knock money off for a new ECU and see if seller bites. ECU failures that affect the sparks or temperature gauge can often be repaired for about £100.

But what state is the coolant and the engine oil?
How old is the battery, tyres, exhaust, all the usual used car stuff. Also make sure it has BOTH blue keys. new keys cost a fortune.

Puntos are only prone to failed head gaskets because people dont change the coolant and end up with a leak. Low coolant = blown gasket like it would on most cars.

Back