General Brought a 2002 Stilo JTD as a project ...

Currently reading:
General Brought a 2002 Stilo JTD as a project ...

Did you swap all the key parts including the glass vial transponder?

Yes, just swopped the blade. Everything was as it should be, the buttons on the remote even locked and unlocked the doors. The only problem was the imo.

The transponder should be recognised by it's matched BC which then sends an "Allow Start" signal to the engine management ECU. I don't think the EM ECU holds the key code as well, but just in case it does, you could try swapping the EM ECU too.

I did consider that but what I really wanted to know is if a second hand BC can be used without anything else. Purchasing BC, engine ECU, Key etc. would be very expensive. Paying Fiat £90 to re-code the key is much less hassle and cheaper.

U1600 would come up if you've used a key with the wrong transponder.

The reciever coil "thingy" is only a coil, it just picks up the code from whichever key you have close to it.

Thats exactly what I thought but it would appear not to be so? :confused:

You could have tried it by wrapping the "wrong" key handle in thick Bacofoil so you could use it to turn the ignition (the Bacofoil would prevent the transponder signal getting through to the reciever) while holding the "correct" key (and transponder) close to the reciever.

Just swopping the blade of the key should have been enough as I did use the correct key(transponder) or the doors would not have locked and unlocked.

Just a thought (because of the error message)... perhaps FES can only Proxy-Align one node at a time. I seem to remember that when Yani was investigating Proxy-Alignment for FES it was so he could Proxy-Align a retro fit CN+ into his Stilo to avoid the need for the 4 second delay circuit, not to configure multiple NODES.

If feeling adventurous, you could try disconecting all the extra NODES then reconnect and Proxy-Align them one at a time.

Proxi-Alignment worked, it reprogramed 4 NODES successfully. I just told it to continue. It reprogrammed the Multiwagon BC with all the NODES of the project car. It worked 100%. (y)

Last edited:
It doesnt make sence lol it should have worked. By any chance did you have your own key in your pocket maybe it picked up other signal? Or does it only pick up the signal when its in the ignition?

It doesnt make sence lol it should have worked. By any chance did you have your own key in your pocket maybe it picked up other signal? Or does it only pick up the signal when its in the ignition?

The other key was in bits on my dinning room table so there was no way it could have interfered.

All I can think of is the reciever coil thingy plays a bigger part in the process than we think, perhaps even storing the actual transponder code itself?

From eLEARN:

"To increase protection against theft attempts, an electronic immobilizer system known as the 'FIAT CODE' system has been adopted.
The keys are equipped with an electronic transponder which transmits a coded signal to a special electronic control unit in the Body Computer. This allows the engine to be started if the code is recognised.
The code used in the communication, which takes place via aerial, changes each time the car is started up (rolling code). The code cannot therefore be reproduced, even with electronic scanners.
The main function of the Code control unit is to identify the code in the ignition key. The control unit contains a secret code which is used to communicate with the key Transponder. The body computer contains all enabled key codes in its memory, together with the code used in the communication between the body computer and the engine management unit. When the key is turned to MAR for for the first time, if the key is identified correctly, the code is transferred to the engine management unit and is then indelibly linked to the body computer.
The two units communicate via a two-way serial line."

Seems as though the EM ECU does store the code as well as the BC.

So a second hand Body Computer can be used as they are easily reprogrammed using the Proxi-Alignment Proceedure in FiatECUScan.

However the Imobiliser Key Code is stored in the BC and the Engine ECU so a £90 "Fiat Dealer Only" re-coding of the key is needed unless the Engine ECU from the donor car is also used. This may not be too much of a problem if both cars are JTD's for example, but if the donor car was a 5 door 1.6 and the other was a JTD Multiwagon you have a problem and taking it to a dealer for a £90 re-coding of the key would save a lot of time and money.

I suspect a lot of the unsolveable strange dash, door and light faults etc. are probabely faulty BC's.

Dealer gets it from ISR, it shouldn't cost that much. Got mine from the local dealer for £15.

There's 2 numbers:

The Electronic Code that's used for programming the keys. (Also needed for programming remote controls, indicators flashing with R/C and alarm country mode with FES). The same number can also used for the Emergency Start procedure if the immobiliser part of the key stops working.

The Mechanical Code that's used for cutting key blades when a key is not available to copy.

If you get them done, you need to take all the keys you have for the car to the dealer. They all need to be programmed at the same time.

Someone posted a while ago that he'd got the codes for free under the Freedom of Information Act. I already had my codes so never tried it, but the act only applies to information held by government bodies and companies owned by government bodies. Fiat and ISR are neither. :confused:

Attachments

• Key Code.jpg
    Key Code.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
They need to see proof of ownership. I doubt they'd do it over the phone because anyone could phone to get the codes then use it to do the emergency start procedure to steal the car.

I use Ancaster in Welling, Kent. Tel: 0208 298 6300

Airbag warning is now sorted. Cleaned the connectors under the seats with electrical cleaner then secured them properly.

Just need the Body Computer to turn up now and everything should be fixed. Good little car, quick too.

Last edited:
Well the forrm member(https://www.fiatforum.com/members/glengray) I brought the car off promised to post, via next day delivery, the MOT and spare key to me over a week ago. I've recieved nothing so far and he's refusing to answer my calls or texts so I can only presume he is p*ssed off cuz I managed to repair what he thought was a scrap car.

Some people are just strange. :shrug:

Anyway, the body computer will be here Wednesday and its booked into Fiat to have the key recoded to the car on Thursday. I'm hoping to get it MOT'd on Friday as long as my mate can fit me in.

My daughter may be driving it untill I can sort her another car but after that she'll be up for sale.

What you think she'll be worth with 12 months MOT and Tax? I though £1000 maybe £1100, what do you lot think?

Body Computer turned up this morning, just fitted it and the "light on" problem is deffinately gone. (y)

Connected FES to her to run Proxi-Alignment everything went to plan. Reconnected FES again started Proxi-Alignment and it informed me "Proxi-Alignment is not required as this vehicle is aligned correctly".

Just got to put a standard Fiat CD Player back in her and get the Key re-coded to the car then she'll be 100% again. :D

And I have to appologise to Glen(the guy I brought the car off). I recieved a parcel this morning that contained the Spare Key and the MOT(31st May 2012). Thanks Glen, still not sure why he wont answer my calls or texts. :shrug:

Last edited:
told you if any body could fix it you could . Hope to meet you soon Rich

If I'm honest Rich I enjoyed the challenge, wasn't sure she was fixable when Glen was telling me about all the problems the car had.

Once Fiat have recoded the keys I'll give her a quick service, oil filters etc. then I'll arrange for a mobile valeter friend of mine(his names Scott, if your near Wolves PM me and I'll give you his number) to give her a good clean and polish.

She's a lovel car, someone will be really pleased with her.

Would have been impossible to do without FiatECUScan, what a brilliant bit of software. Yani :worship:

Good job (y)

So give us the dragons den figures how much did you spend in total to get her prestine condition and whats the sellable value?

Good job (y)

So give us the dragons den figures how much did you spend in total to get her prestine condition and whats the sellable value?

Car - £230
Glow Plugs - £20
Crank Sensor - £30
Body Computer - £19
Standard Fiat CD Player - £40
Recoding Keys to Car - £90
Quick Service(oil, filters etc.) - £45

Total - £474

She's a lovely car, very clean, MOT'd untill 31st May 2012.
She has a better spec than this similar car as she's the Dynamic:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Fiat-Stilo-Standard-1910cc-Diesel-/250895099127
So I value her between £1000 - £1200 for a quick sale.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back