Brazil - France Flight

Currently reading:
Brazil - France Flight

I hope they are alright.
What you reckon has happened? Plane goes into to sea? Planes float right? :S

if ti has gone into the sea it has gone fro 35000ft into it. im not sure what the controls would be like sans power... i.e nose dive, plane brakes up on impact, no time for safe controlled evactuation of any one:(

latest reports are of other passenger planes reporting bright bits in the sea....:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8078203.stm

Last edited:
well according to our lecturers at uni if the lighting hits the fuel tanks then the aircraft explodes. Aircraft fly though thunderstorms frequently (although not recomended) but its rare for large hits from thnder.

Tell them to go see these people.......

http://www.hsmarston.co.uk/products_lightning.htm

I helped qualify their products for use on Eurofighter many years ago.....

hmm tough call...personally if lightning strikes aircraft (very rare in the first place) but usually everything goes up in flames...(jet fuel masses of electricity = kerblamo...)
As with the black box (actually dynamo orange in colour) not sure as to wether it will be found as it will be at the bottom of the sea by now...

"For a plane to get hit by lightning is totally routine," said Pierre Sparaco, a member of the French Air and Space Academy. ;)

if ti has gone into the sea it has gone fro 35000ft into it. im not sure what the controls would be like sans power... i.e nose dive, plane brakes up on impact, no time for safe controlled evactuation of any one:(

latest reports are of other passenger planes reporting bright bits in the sea....:(

Not sure what the backup is on a total electrics failure on a fly by wire aircraft..... Very improbable they lost primary flying controls.... Emergency hydraulic power would have kept them in control for a forced landing... The pilot who crashed in the Hudson did pretty well.....

Still the safest form of transport (statistically).....

Not sure what the backup is on a total electrics failure on a fly by wire aircraft..... Very improbable they lost primary flying controls.... Emergency hydraulic power would have kept them in control for a forced landing... The pilot who crashed in the Hudson did pretty well.....

says mr french aeroplane dude:

Something kicks in called the RAM air system, in which a small propeller descends and because of the speed of the plane generates enough electricity to run vital instruments.

So even if there is a total power failure the pilot can still fly by wire long enough to get to land.

says mr french aeroplane dude:

He's quite right.... More often called a ram air turbine... (RAT)... can provide drive to a hydraulic pump and electrickery.... provides a very limited amount of power that is usually taken from either a direct drive from the engines, or possibly from bleed air from the low pressure parts of the compression stage in the engine.

Clever things these aeroplanes..... Just when they do go wrong its quite spectacular..... What everyone doesnt realise is how many minor faults aircraft have all the time, which are covered off off by redundancy in the systems.

Such a complex system, so often taken for granted....

when we were flying from Manc to Canada one year the plane was hit by lightening and we had to land in Scotland as it broke :(

:chin: think that's the only time i've been on a plane when we were told about problems. once a pilot did come on the tannoy thingy to say he was glad it landed ok as he was a bit concerned all wasn't well :eek: it's funny to see a whole plane full of people go silent and their faces blank :ROFLMAO: :eek:

To get absolute electrical failure is pretty damn difficult from what I recall.

IIRC, theres at least 3 different power lines from each engine (including normal 230v operating buses), and loss of both engines has to be 'extremely remote' - less than 1x10-9 / flying hour (according to CS-E/FAR-25, however if you believe that thats our own head you're carrying).

Then theres always the batteries powering the very critical systems and the RAT powering the really critical flight controls. (Id think DAL A / SIL 4 systems).

As for the use of bleed air starting the APU - you'de be buggered with something like the 787 - its electric start! It surprises me to this day how the safety guys get past loss of both engines, I recall it requires a fair few kW to get an engine moving.

FYI RATs are independent of engine systems - it may derive power from an engine via the aircraft, but theres no direct connection to it, it'd make great fun (read too much) for the airframe safety case.

Had an interesting conversation with an aircraft maintenance staff member of an airlihat tne.

He told me the plane was grounded in India three weeks prior to the crash. The reason for grounding was to prevent what actually has finally happened.

The signals received from the plane from the moments clearly indicated that a electrical short circuit was the b eginning of the catastrophy, which progressed to frying systematically the electronics.

This is possible because Airbus industries (the only manufacturer of aircraft doing so now) till date fits capton wiring, which is known to suffer this problem, which even prompted the RAF to re-wire all its aircraft at exorbitant cost.

In public the it was allowed to speculate that it might even be a terrorist attack despite the fact knowing.

Understandable from the point of people who have to save themselves, because under French law the consequences are pretty tough. This leaves airbus industries and quite a few others in a very difficult situation.

Back