Technical Brake lights stopped working

Currently reading:
Technical Brake lights stopped working

squixs

Hi all,

I'm running into an issue with my Fiat 500 1.2 from 2009.
The instrument cluster is displaying an error message: "Check brake lights," and I can confirm none of the three brake lights are working.
I've already changed the brake light switch sensor, this fixed the problem initially, but after a week, I got the same error. Lights are back to not functioning.

The weird thing is: Every time I press the brake pedal, a "squeak" like sound is heard from somewhere in the dashboard.

Any tips and tricks?

Thanks!

Thank you for your reply.
I've replaced the wiring in the tailgate boot, since most of the cables were indeed busted, causing things like the rear wiper to malfunction.
I reviewed the wiring diagrams, but I can't find whether the wiring for the brake lighting is going through the tailgate boot flexible part. Can you confirm this?
I've checked the fuse, this is OK.

The 3rd brake light likely is but not the others

If you have multi ECUscan I'd check to see if it shows the brake switch as being active when you press the pedal down

If it is the bcu should be supplying power the the lights the brake switch shouldn't be the cause again you'd hope but it could be that it was a dodgy part on not installed quite right

On you models it's behind a cover plate on the passenger side of the car as the brake are operated via a large steel level/rod from the drivers side
I've replaced the wiring in the tailgate boot, since most of the cables were indeed busted, causing things like the rear wiper to malfunction.
I reviewed the wiring diagrams, but I can't find whether the wiring for the brake lighting is going through the tailgate boot flexible part. Can you confirm this?

Try plugging your old switch into the loom..while in your hand

Squeeze the switch.. do the lights work ?

I reviewed the wiring diagrams, but I can't find whether the wiring for the brake lighting is going through the tailgate boot flexible part.
The wiring for the 3rd (high) brake light obviously goes through the suspect hatch wiring. Any short here will likely take out all three.

How long ago did you repair it, and what type of wire did you use?

It's not unusual for this wiring to fail again. Plenty of folks here are now on their third or fourth repair.

Any progress with this?

Back