General Brake calipers advise please

Currently reading:
General Brake calipers advise please

DIDCOTT

Hi I’m looking to carry out the 1.4 16v swap to my Cinq and will need to upgrade the brakes.
I have some uno turbo rear calipers that I can fit to the rear along With the Cinq front discs.
What calipers set up will I need up front that are compatible with the rears.
Also does the cylinder or fluid reservoir need upgrading too? Thanks.

Hello again ??. Uno turbo or punto gt front brakes will work up front. But you will have to be running 14 inch wheels. I think the master cylinder is sound asleep the cinq brake system is decent. Hard parts to get now unless you buy brand new.
You need a adapter plate to convert the rear to use your calipers.
Cheers
Evan

Hi Evan thanks for the reply I am currently running 14s and also have the adapter plates for the rear so will source some front calipers now I know that. What size discs will work with them and would they need to be solid or vented.

16v puntos run 257mm brakes just non vented

Also Alfa 145/6 brakes also fit that have 257mm vented front brakes some as the gt

Or if you know someone that can machine the carries mounting faces doblo van brakes will also work

There is a few other models that also work quick search on here will get you the info

16v puntos run 257mm brakes just non vented

Also Alfa 145/6 brakes also fit that have 257mm vented front brakes some as the gt

Or if you know someone that can machine the carries mounting faces doblo van brakes will also work

There is a few other models that also work quick search on here will get you the info

Do you happen to know what years for Punto front calipers also what years Alfa’s please James

Do you happen to know what years for Punto front calipers also what years Alfa’s please James

All years of mk2 punto aslong as it’s got the 1.2/1.4 16v Petrol engines in

And all years of 145 and 146 sorry can’t give you exact dates but google should give you the years the vehicles were produced from to when they finished

Perfect I have a 16v mk2 1.4 that is my donor so that’s good news.

All years of mk2 punto aslong as it’s got the 1.2/1.4 16v Petrol engines in

And all years of 145 and 146 sorry can’t give you exact dates but google should give you the years the vehicles were produced from to when they finished

Almost ready to upgrade the brakes.
my donor car has vented discs up front will this set up still work with the uno rears ? As a lot of the threads I’ve read people have used solid discs.

Don't worry about vented discs. If you have the calipers that fit over them (since they're thicker than non-vented) then use them.

Vented discs won't cause a brake imbalance compared to non-vented discs - they're not any stronger, they're just less likely to overheat under hard use. The Cinq' will not give either vented or unvented discs such a hard time that they'll overheat, even with the extra performance and weight from the 1.4.

I don't know if the 14" wheels are tight with the caliper used by vented discs, so check that before you do anything too expensive with the vented discs... but the 14" wheel is quite narrow and that restricts the width of tyre you can put on it. I'd look at bigger (specifically wider) rims to get more rubber on the ground. The bigger brakes might make the beast lock up too easily and I guess you don't have ABS?

Ralf S.

Back