blue bog lights

Currently reading:
blue bog lights

they put these in BHS was sign on door saying out toilets now use blue light technology, i go in an its all strangely blue, i thought wonder what thats all about, thought it must be uv light to show up germs as they do that on them cleaning shows on tv.
But i googled it and found out thats not the reason, its to stop junkies being able to see their veins. aparently they have been about for years http://www.theargus.co.uk/archive/1...6800593.BLUE_LIGHT_TO_DRIVE_THE_ADDICTS_AWAY/

ive never noticed them before:confused:

going to check see if i can see my veins next time i go in there

edit found articles from 2006 on them now, how come ive never seen them till now

also found out . "Doesn’t really work though, since drug users have learned to use a magic marker to mark their veins befoe going into the toilet" that quote is from 2006 so every junkie must know about it

Last edited:
That's also why a lot of hard flat surfaces in clubs and bars are greasy to touch-they put baby oil or fairy liquid on them so you can't snort coke off them as it turns into a gel

They have the blue lights in hospital loos as well

I came across them a few years ago. My missus used to be a manager for William Hill(bookies). Certain shops, usually the ones in busy city centers had a problem with local druggies using their toilets to "shoot up". To stop this they installed blue lights. They worked and the problem moved somewhere else.

you seen the new trick?
Blue light hand driers? preventing people from seeing the veins when warm (as they come to the surface)

Blue lights are cool - but i must admit there not quiet bright enough, the toilets always look dull and dank

Ziggy

Strangely, I thought they were using UV technology to sterilise hands (think I saw them on a dryer that uses a very compressed 'blade' of air to dry hands - amazing how many blokes I see simply pass their hands under a tap really fast rather than use soap - or even many who do use soap but don't wash properly.:yuck:

Then those of us that do have to grab the handle to open the door. maybe sinks, soap & dryers should be out in the public areas so everyone can see you NOT washing.

Norwich Market public toilets have had blue lights for the last 15-20 years at least? they used to have loads of problems with IV drug users this was the best way to stop them (at the time) and it did improve things no end.

Heavy IV drug users won't have many veins left (of any use) anyway so these lights won't stop them, they tend to 'Skin pop' instead which is injecting the drug subcutaneously. or find much deeper veins by touch.

The cleaning hands thing is interesting, about 90% of public toilets use cheap generic soap most of which are not anti bacterial. so they may clean dirt and grime off but for bacteria they are near useless, this is why hospitals always use the same soap which is expensive compared to the stuff in the local shopping centre.

Hand sanitizer doesn't kill bacterial spores which hand washing does so its not always best to use sanitizers in public toilets, you can still get pretty ill with noro virus or clostridium difficile.

warm air dryers work as long as you completely dry your hands other wise you are just giving the bacteria a boost to start multiplying, however this takes fricking ages and most people don't bother so I have to agree with the paper towel only approach. the dyson air blades do however work as they use cold air and dry very quickly which is why hospitals are using them more and more.

the dyson air blades do however work as they use cold air and dry very quickly which is why hospitals are using them more and more.

Much, much cheaper to operate as they don't need to heat the air, just force it though a fine slot.

The blue light thing is also supposedly a deterrant to stop spotty teenagers hanging around as the UV is supposedly fantastic at highlighting zits - makes them stand out like a racing dog's danglies :D

Back