image516.jpg

Panda (Classic) Betty: the early 1000CL

Introduction

See this thread for the full story of how Betty ended up in my possession.... :cool:

Anyway, thanks to blinkelephant -- who was her previous owner -- and VmanC -- who has kindly agreed to adopt her on a temporary basis, and sort out her foibles... -- she will soon be on her way to a good home...! :rolleyes:

Here she is, earlier today, leaving for Vernon's workshop... :)

I can't wait to meet her...! (y)
Although VmanC has had Betty's wheels beautifully refurbished, these 127 ones caught my eye... (I must be turning into CLS; or it's Palio's bad influence on me...) :rolleyes:

...so I now plan to put Betty's shiny 'new' wheels on Pippin (when he's sent to Vernon's for fettling, and whatever other magical stuff that happens in his big shed...); and Pippin's almost-new tyres on these wheels (as the current 127 tyres, at 135/70-13, are 4.9% smaller than the standard 135/80-13s I have on Pippin...), and then get Vernon to fit them to Betty. :D

As always, your opinions will be willfully ignored, er, accepted...! ;)

PS: I will also have some "almost-new" 127 tyres for sale, at some point.... :devil:

it's a great way to make you vehicle stand out with the low key mods :thumbup:

Thanks, Andy! (y)

You've summed it up nicely, as well. I just want that little bit of personalization that doesn't change the overall look and feel, too much... -- and that can be easily reversed. Just subtle enough, so that those who know about these things notice the difference.... :cool:

They should look good (y)

Many thanks...! (y)

I think they must be mk3 127 wheels?

There are geniuses amongst us...! :worship:

Took me ages to confirm this. In the end, this photo (and what a lovely colour that 127 is...) was the clincher... (y)

...and it came from this website...! :confused:

I actually thought I'd seen them on a 126 in Phil Ward's (no relation, as far as I know...) book, Great Small FIATs (p.70, for those half-bothered...) -- but it's hard to tell.... :eek:

I'm hoping that their relative rarity, though, will make Betty just that little bit more special than she already is (5 Licensed, 10 SORN: first registered in 1986...). :D

You just beat me to it...! :D

Too clever by half, some people, though... -- and they couldn't recognize a seatbelt mount if it... blah, blah, blah.... :p

How do you guys know all this stuff...? It's taken me years of intensive training just to realize that 127s actually came in different versions.... :rolleyes:

You just beat me to it...! :D

Too clever by half, some people, though... -- and they couldn't recognize a seatbelt mount if it... blah, blah, blah.... :p

How do you guys know all this stuff...? It's taken me years of intensive training just to realize that 127s actually came in different versions.... :rolleyes:

Well I've been into cars for over 50 years and when you're interested in a subject you tend to retain information very easily.

Or you could just read the advert. :p

Last edited:
...these 127 [wheels] caught my eye...

Went and collected these, this morning... -- and I have to say that I think I may have nabbed myself a bargain...! :D

The tyres look like they've done about three yards; the wheels have recently been powder-coated; and the metal hub-caps are like new.... (If you believe in karma, though, this seems only fair: as I gave away -- almost -- the steelies from my Punto, with new wheel trims, and two new tyres, for less than I paid for the 127 wheels....) :cool:

The guy I bought them from was also a star: "giving them away" to create space in his garage.... Tony -- from Sicily -- is restoring, and race-prepping, a Mk3 127 (doing all the work himself); and has so far spent over £3,000 just on parts... -- although this includes a hand-built 127 bhp engine (with very nice twin carbs); Abarth wheels; Abarth steering wheel and instruments, etc., etc., etc.. It also makes a glorious noise (although it currently has no exhaust...)! :slayer:

Next step is to respray it: although the bodywork is immaculate; and the car had only done 16,000 miles, before he drove it back from Scotland.... (y)

He would fit in well, here; but, sadly, is not a fan of web-based Forums.... What should have been a two-minute collection thus turned into a twenty-minute chat about 127s, Pandas, FIRE engines, how many revs you can get out of a four-speed 769 cc engine; Mk1 Punto cams, and re-mapping; Brooklands; Castle Combe; Lumenition ignition; and old FIATs in general. A really decent, knowledgeable bloke.... :worship:

Went and collected these, this morning... -- and I have to say that I think I may have nabbed myself a bargain...! :D

The tyres look like they've done about three yards; the wheels have recently been powder-coated; and the metal hub-caps are like new.... (If you believe in karma, though, this seems only fair: as I gave away -- almost -- the steelies from my Punto, with new wheel trims, and two new tyres, for less than I paid for the 127 wheels....) :cool:

The guy I bought them from was also a star: "giving them away" to create space in his garage.... Tony -- from Sicily -- is restoring, and race-prepping, a Mk3 127 (doing all the work himself); and has so far spent over £3,000 just on parts... -- although this includes a hand-built 127 bhp engine (with very nice twin carbs); Abarth wheels; Abarth steering wheel and instruments, etc., etc., etc.. It also makes a glorious noise (although it currently has no exhaust...)! :slayer:

Next step is to respray it: although the bodywork is immaculate; and the car had only done 16,000 miles, before he drove it back from Scotland.... (y)

He would fit in well, here; but, sadly, is not a fan of web-based Forums.... What should have been a two-minute collection thus turned into a twenty-minute chat about 127s, Pandas, FIRE engines, how many revs you can get out of a four-speed 769 cc engine; Mk1 Punto cams, and re-mapping; Brooklands; Castle Combe; Lumenition ignition; and old FIATs in general. A really decent, knowledgeable bloke.... :worship:

Did you find out what he looked like in a dress and lipstick? Sounds like he'd make an excellent wife :p :D
Oh yeah, nice wheels (y)

Betty had what looked like some minor rust around the back window so I removed the window recently to treat it. Unfortunately it was worse than it looked and is best rectified by fitting another tailgate. It will mean more painting, which it would have anyway, but at least with another one we can avoid the trouble and expense of welding. I do have a good one I can use.

Sorry to be the bearer of such news at this hour. :(

Betty had what looked like some minor rust around the back window so I removed the window recently to treat it. Unfortunately it was worse than it looked and is best rectified by fitting another tailgate. It will mean more painting, which it would have anyway, but at least with another one we can avoid the trouble and expense of welding. I do have a good one I can use.

Sorry to be the bearer of such news at this hour. :(

Considering the damage done to the nearside, by parking next to a damp wall, this does not entirely surprise me.... :cry:

I am so glad you have such a good spares department, though...! (y)

At this rate, no-one'll notice the doors.... :rumour:

PS: You could at least have softened the blow a little by offering me a cup of tea.... ;)

Last edited:
Yes I've thought of it too, unfortunately my spare tailgates don't have the drain dimples.
If they are that important to you we have two choices, repair your original which will involve more labour, or put dimples in to a newer one, again more labour but not as much.

Pete is coming in next week to do it so I can ask him how much you'd be looking at.

Yes I've thought of it too, unfortunately my spare tailgates don't have the drain dimples.
If they are that important to you we have two choices, repair your original which will involve more labour, or put dimples in to a newer one, again more labour but not as much.

Pete is coming in next week to do it so I can ask him how much you'd be looking at.

Ta! I thought you would have. :worship:

Once I've had a sight of prices, I shall make a decision... -- but please see this poll, as well (which I reserve the right to ignore...). I shall also post something in the classifieds.... :eek:

Last edited:
Back