Technical Best smoke depressants for emissions test

Currently reading:
Technical Best smoke depressants for emissions test

MikeRRR

Hi Guys,

2010 Punto Evo 1.3 mjt in France, 215,000 kms, Failed emissions so I have added the Facom 2 pack additive - injector cleaner in fuel and smoke inhibitor in oil after an oil/filter change. I hope to do about 400 kms this week then retest. If it fails again, I have until 3 Oct to test again. Can anyone recommend a better oil additive to clean the smoke if it does fail or it is off for scrap.

Failed what way? Parameters.
This is serious. I mean, this type of fault should be handled by someone competent, not average "grease-monkey" (parts changer).
Proper diagnostics (OBD2 + oscilloscope with various probes and/or pressure transducers + gas analyzer).

It failed its interim emissions test on Controle Technique - the French MOT, so properly analysed. The regime here is different to UK in as much as you normally have an MOT every other year but a Utility type vehicle (small van) has an annual emissions test. If it fails, you have 2 months to correct for retest. The Evo does predominantly local short journeys but is kicking out a bit of white smoke. Anyway, since the first posting I have done 250 kms with the additives (Facom 006020) and using the engine at 3000-3500 rpm and it has improved so it is being retested on Monday. In theory the additives improve combustion and burn off the crud etc - I should have thought to do it before the test but we will see.

So it's a diesel and the emission test is different from petrol. Older diesels just needed to be driven in higher revs and lower gear from time to time to get the exhaust and engine clean, regain the lost power and get it pass the emission test. This is a newer engine and it has DPF which is known to cause issues if driven only short distances. Also it could have an issue with a clogged EGR. However you need to find a diesel expert who really knows what to do.

Additives won't help if the engine is worn out.

So it's a diesel and the emission test is different from petrol. Older diesels just needed to be driven in higher revs and lower gear from time to time to get the exhaust and engine clean, regain the lost power and get it pass the emission test. This is a newer engine and it has DPF which is known to cause issues if driven only short distances. Also it could have an issue with a clogged EGR. However you need to find a diesel expert who really knows what to do.

Additives won't help if the engine is worn out.

I had a Kangoo van with a very dirty EGR which I removed and cleaned so that is the next job to try. I am looking now for images/instructions for getting the EGR off - I am told that you need 3 small hands with 8 fingers on each ;-) I should add that there are no Codes showing.

Last edited:
Back