General Battery

Currently reading:
General Battery

I know this is an old thread but jumping in here rather than starting fresh.

Had a look round the forums, and it seems my battery is going (heavier steering; not aligning itself properly; red steering light came on twice now when going under 10mph and trying to turn). To be honest, I wasn't even going to bother testing it because the battery is old as anything! Never been replaced since 2010.

Any battery recommendations and specific places to go to? I know Euro Car Parts do quite a few brands, but from what I can see online, I could get a Bosch one elsewhere cheaper and only have to wait a few days.

I know this is an old thread but jumping in here rather than starting fresh.

Had a look round the forums, and it seems my battery is going (heavier steering; not aligning itself properly; red steering light came on twice now when going under 10mph and trying to turn). To be honest, I wasn't even going to bother testing it because the battery is old as anything! Never been replaced since 2010.

Any battery recommendations and specific places to go to? I know Euro Car Parts do quite a few brands, but from what I can see online, I could get a Bosch one elsewhere cheaper and only have to wait a few days.

Look at Tayna batteries,

Posted overnight from the Warehouse in North Wales

Prices and range can be excellent 🙂

@panda nut suggested taking a printed quote to Halfords.. As they will often do a deal to try and match it

I've used Tayna for lots of batteries over @15 years

Very happy to recommend them 👍

Look at Tayna batteries,

Posted overnight from the Warehouse in North Wales

Prices and range can be excellent 🙂

@panda nut suggested taking a printed quote to Halfords.. As they will often do a deal to try and match it

I've used Tayna for lots of batteries over @15 years

Very happy to recommend them 👍
The Halfords thing is a great shout, and they're about 1 minute drive from me. Thanks for the advice!

Went out to the car a moment ago to remind myself what battery was in there. It's the stock one. Not bad for a 2010 plate.

Looking at Tanya and the Bosch S4 000 seems to be what I'm looking for.

Having a look at Euro Car Parts (who also price match) and when I enter my reg it suggests the Bosch S4 001. That doesn't seem right for a Panda Active Eco 1.1. Can it fit both sizes?

The Halfords thing is a great shout, and they're about 1 minute drive from me. Thanks for the advice!

Went out to the car a moment ago to remind myself what battery was in there. It's the stock one. Not bad for a 2010 plate.
Interesting to see how price matching works out.. 🤔 They may well Not match Tayna as they are not a LocalShop

My punto is still on its 2012 battery.. So things Can last 👍

Perhaps something you may know as well. As mentioned, the steering wheel light popped on recently, though when connecting to the car via MultiECUScan, it doesn't appear to show any errors.

Is that the correct way of working, as the warning light isn't on at the moment?

I've used it in the past a few times, so it's all set up correctly, but I was sure it would show some type of error in the MES console.

Perhaps something you may know as well. As mentioned, the steering wheel light popped on recently, though when connecting to the car via MultiECUScan, it doesn't appear to show any errors.

Is that the correct way of working, as the warning light isn't on at the moment?

I've used it in the past a few times, so it's all set up correctly, but I was sure it would show some type of error in the MES console.

Are you reading the Steering.. Or the body? 🤔

TBH.. I have Never had steering issues

Year 2000 puntos good, apart from one sporting with a weird alternator, only charged when it felt like it (reliably.. )

3 x 169 pandas, all perfect

3 x twinairs steering all good

If you have, or have a friend who has, a Halfords Trade Card then it's a no brainer. I bought a Yuasa HSB 012 rated 54ah and 500 amp (en) cranking amps from them for near as damn it the same money Tayna were quoting me. I think Tayna were going to charge shipping on top though.

P1110753.JPGP1110752.JPGP1110754.JPGP1110755.JPG

The "catch" though is you need a Halfords trade card to get the discount: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/trade-card/trade-card-sign-up.html Well worth it if you can find a way to qualify. I applied in person at my local branch and took my C&G papers and IMI membership card. I only got as far as showing the IMI card and they issued me with one.

I'm amused by the "rollover proof lid" - see 3rd picture. Maybe of limited benefit though as I'm not planning on spending too much time upside down in the car!

Edit. What first alerted me to a battery problem was that the clock kept resetting every time I started the engine. Posted on here and was snowed under with advice to renew the battery. As usual, you guy's (& girls) were right and the new battery sorted it. Although I thought she was strting well on the old battery, it was also immediately obvious that she was cranking faster and "catching" more quickly with the new battery installed.

Last edited:
If you have, or have a friend who has, a Halfords Trade Card then it's a no brainer. I bought a Yuasa HSB 012 rated 54ah and 500 amp (en) cranking amps from them for near as damn it the same money Tayna were quoting me. I think Tayna were going to charge shipping on top though.

View attachment 444259View attachment 444260View attachment 444261View attachment 444262

The "catch" though is you need a Halfords trade card to get the discount: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/trade-card/trade-card-sign-up.html Well worth it if you can find a way to qualify. I applied in person at my local branch and took my C&G papers and IMI membership card. I only got as far as showing the IMI card and they issued me with one.

I'm amused by the "rollover proof lid" - see 3rd picture. Maybe of limited benefit though as I'm not planning on spending too much time upside down in the car!

Edit. What first alerted me to a battery problem was that the clock kept resetting every time I started the engine. Posted on here and was snowed under with advice to renew the battery. As usual, you guy's (& girls) were right and the new battery sorted it. Although I thought she was strting well on the old battery, it was also immediately obvious that she was cranking faster and "catching" more quickly with the new battery installed.
It was actually your thread which made me realise it was definitely the battery.

I’d been feeling it starting slower, and the lights being dimmer. Knew it was on the way out but your thread helped a ton!

Back