Technical Bad radio reception - How to improve

Currently reading:
Technical Bad radio reception - How to improve

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶

aurick86

Established member
Hello,
I have a '98 bravo 1.4 12v with original radio-cassete player.
I like the look of the original radio( replaced a JVC cd player with an original unit- this didn't got very good reception either)

The problem is it gets terrible reception, the radio station are full of static.. and it's just awful to listen to.
In underground passages it looses the radio station completely, same in underground parking lots.

Checked the antenna, the antenna cable.. seem to be ok.

I have spark plugs and leads that have a certain resistance ( in order to get no interference); the bad audio is present with engine off or on.

I'd like to keep the original look.
Please advice.

two things to check
usually bad contact under the base of the antenna or..... some cars have a connector that joins to the cable
see here ---> http://www.cartuningparts.co.uk/45m-car-radiostereo-aerial-extension-cable-lead/ sometimes when tugging on the aerial cable they separate resulting in poor reception they are usually located near the glove box area tucked away so not easy to spot, an easy way to check your radio is to pull the unit out switch on and with a small piece of cable or round bit of coat hanger just touch the centre pin on the radio unit and hold it there while searching for stations. if its quite clear reception then your antenna is deffo at fault good luck.

two things to check
bad contact under the base of the antenna or..... some cars have a connector that joins to the cable

Thanks for the reply,
I've checked both, I've cleaned them and put a bit of grease on them to stop any further corrosion.

The thing is that the reception is still crap.

Custom aerial will cure that (y)

Image0593.jpg

That one is made from an indoor tv aerial, with a standard base and drilled a small bit to accept an M4 bolt and nut :)

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back