Technical are these discs the same?

Currently reading:
Technical are these discs the same?

just got my grooved discs from EBC, and i have a feeling that the two front discs are different?

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

you can see that one is thicker than the other in the hub (centre) section, and the thicker one has some dark grey coating on the inside that the thinner one doesnt have?

is this normal or are they different?

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

after further inspection they do seem to be the same size. they both have 24.2mm stamped on them too. but they just look different, with one having this rough grey coating on the insides.

Looking at all your pictures (unless it's the lighting) it appears to me as though even the machined surfaces on the "grey" disc are a different colour to the other one. It may be that the composition of the metal for each disc is different which could lead to a brake inbalance. You need to have a pair of discs that are the same.

Dave

Last edited:
well today was the day i had my car booked to have the brakes upgraded. EBC 40 groove discs and redstuff pads were to be fitted all round along with stainless braided hoses and an engine an gearbox oil change.

so the garage stripped off the brakes only to find that the discs i supplied were too thick to fit the carriers! :swear

plus they had to charge me labour for doing so! :raspberry

so i rang up the brakes people and they say it looks as if they sent you the discs for the 150 jtd which are thicker. they argeed to change the discs and also said they'll come back to me on the garage labour charges.

if that wasnt enough to **** me off today, the car now hesitates. its random when it'll do it, but it loses all revs and feels like the engine is braking untill you lift off the accelerator then it goes only to repeat itself a few minutes later.

the only thing done to the engine was an oil change with castrol edge 0w-30.

any ideas :crying

anyone know the spec for the jtd 115 discs?

You should have gone to Dom at roath auto Oz..this wouldnt have happened then..:doh: as you know he was my supplier and cheaper than anyone else on line..;)

You should have gone to Dom at roath auto Oz..this wouldnt have happened then..:doh: as you know he was my supplier and cheaper than anyone else on line..;)

you know what, i should have! completely forgot about them :bang:

these guys arent too bad though (CRN Brakes)

argo, the crank sensor was changed last week. it just loses all power, slow quite quickly (dangerous!) then pics up again after you lift off.

no beeps or engine light ???

thanks davern, you're a star.

so from there its the 150 multijet thats shared with the abarth, not the normal jtd. the normal jtd (80 & 115) share their brakes with the 1.8.

so that clears that up, and they have sent the abarth spec ones thinking it was the same as the jtd (which i thought it was and the ebc catalogue says the same too).

argo, its not the crank sensor. when mine was gone the car wouldnt start at all. today though it starts and drives, but limps every now and then. i'll have a right go at them when the new brakes are delivered.

on my recipt, i have 3x "Engine oil valvoline maxlife semi syn" totalling £19.50 exc vat. is that the flush? because i supplied the castrol oil. one 4 litre and one 1 litre as the jtd takes 4.7 litres of oil

keeping on topic, this thread will only discuss the brakes, while the newly developed engine problem will be discussed in "the oil change thats killing my car".

WRT the oil fiasco, the valvoline in the recipt is the gearbox oil, which i asked them to change. hence only 3 litres and not the 4.7 required for the engine oil. it just comes up with that valvoline maxilife engine oil when they run the valvoline gearbox oil through their computer.

Last edited:
Back