Technical Anyone done a Front Brake Disc and Pad Change on this version of the Panda, any videos / tips / tricks? (I've got a 2015 1.2 Pop edition)

Currently reading:
Technical Anyone done a Front Brake Disc and Pad Change on this version of the Panda, any videos / tips / tricks? (I've got a 2015 1.2 Pop edition)

ffsei

Anyone done a Front Brake Disc and Pad Change on this version of the Panda, any videos / tips / tricks?
I've got a 2015 1.2 Pop edition and love it (after having to finally give up on my 2003 Seicento which gave me 15 years of good service!). Was hoping it would be the same as the good old Sei, but it looks like different pad type so I'm guessing different fitting process.

Have scanned youtube for videos, but no luck for this edition (plenty on the 169) - anyone know if it's the same as any of the other fiats that I can search for?

Its straight forward but some of the bolts on the caliper bracket are thread locked and require a lot of force to remove. You need Loctite to put them back as intended. Lots on here about the woes of misusing copper grease. On the back of the pads to stop brake squeal its fine but I use Bosch brake grease everywhere else . I remove the slide pins clean and re grease. Watch carefully when you take them out which is which they are NOT identical. Do not use copper grease for this bit! It stops the sliding action very quickly!! Make sure the pins slide easily and refit the little bellows.
I strogngly recommend coated discs to reduce disc corrosion as opposed to bare steel ones wich rust from the edge in.
Lots said on here regarding the possible makers for parts. opinions vary.. I use Ferodo as an OEM supplier. See their web site its very informative and convincing as to why NOT to use unknown brands. I buy from an HFV Ferodo dealer who is helpful and gives me terrific prices - I think to get ird of the irritating retail man...
Panda brakes tend to stick without a lot of cause so make sure everything is very clean and well lubed on assembly. I suggest wheels off check every 6 monts and free up as required.

Other than that its as simple a job as possible on any car

Yes, it's pretty easy.
Just remember, clean clean clean, so buy a tin of brake cleaner before you start.
Have a few clean rags handy and a couple of brushes, a wire one and a nylon/plastic bristle one, like a nail brush.
The more crud you clean off, the better.

After you have removed the old discs, make sure you clean the hub surfaces before fitting the new discs, wire brush and remove and flaky rut.
Use a barrier grease between the two different metals of hub and disc (just where they meet) when refitting to help in future. A high temp brake grease is ok for this as you'll need it later anyway.
Once you have the discs on, clean them off with brake cleaner, they usually come with a protective film of oil on them.

As already mentioned, clean and lube the sliding pins (under the little bellows) with the same high temp brake grease.

I've used Pagid brakes for years with out issues. (eurocarparts)
They usually come with a rust coating that helps protect the none contact parts like the lip.

Fiat 500 vids might be more useful, like

Thanks - really useful, I'll get on with the job and see how it goes!!

I don't remember the caliper to hub bolts being E socket (torx) headed bolts. (though they are on nearly every other car)
I think they are normal 6 sided Hex (as they are tight use a proper 6 sided impact socket rather than a cheap star patterned socket)

The slider pins are Allen key and as it's a POP the grub that holds the discs to the hub is a normal Hex (with a wheel locking nipple on it), though it could be a counter sunk Allen or totally missing.

I'm just waiting for it to stop raining so I can get out there and fit them haha - given the UK weather, it may be some time!

Yes worth reiterating the sliders are released with an allen key. You have to remove a plastic plug from the rubber bush end. DONT break or loose these plugs Fiat want nearly £60 for the rubber bushes and plastic plugs!!!
Ive not had trouble with the Allen slider pins but they can feel pretty tight. I use a ring spanner as a lever and give them a sharp tap with a light hammer to break the thread lock. Its important not to overtighten them, its not difficult to overdo and ruin the thread. I posted some torque settings in the resources section that may be useful.

Last edited:
I am planning to put out a load of videos for the 319 Panda. I have shot the footage for doing the brakes but not edited it yet.
As stated, it's a straight forward job but you need an E16 external torx socket for the carrier bracket and a 7mm hex for the caliper pins.

BTW the allen key required is 7mm. It's not a common size so make sure you have one before starting the job.

Hi Folks - thanks for all the advice, job all done (in the cold dark and drizzle!) - as everyone said, nice simple job! In all honesty I had expected the discs and pads to be in much worse condition than they were given they were the original the car started out with and it's done just under 40k. Got a nice set of coated delphi discs and delphi pads on now :)

Some notes (mine is a 2015 version, not sure if they vary by year like the 500's seem to!):
- The guide pins are indeed a 7mm hex / allen key, although if you buy replacements they seem to be torx T45 mainly (I checked with my auto factor, didn't buy any in the end as the ones that came out were fine after cleaning and greasing)
- The caliper carrier bolts were the e torx / female torx type E16 (halfords sell one for 3.99 that did the job for me, or if you have time to wait you can get a whole set from Amazon for under £10)

One question I did have - some of the vids say that there is a difference between the guide pins top and bottom, is this right? I put them in the holes they came out of but I did a little compare to see if I could note any difference and couldn't see anything

... had expected the discs and pads to be in much worse condition than they were given they were the original the car started out with and it's done just under 40k. Got a nice set of coated delphi discs and delphi pads on now :)
My 4x4 is at 43000 miles and still well clear of the 'pads worn' indicator. The discs are lipped but not to a degree where I am concerned. It does seem the Panda is very light on its brakes (and tyres).... They will get changed this year, but only once things warm and dry up a bit.

Back