Any weight lifters on the forum?

Currently reading:
Any weight lifters on the forum?

Inclined sit ups you mean? Inclined crunches would be difficult to do without sliding down the bench :p

Yeah they are very good at targeting the lower portion of the abs, as are hanging leg raises (hang from a bar and try and bring your knees to your collar bone with your knees bent). You shouldn't be able to bring them that far up but it's to emphasise the movement of the hips rather than just bringing your feet up.

Look into russian twists also, they're very good for the lateral obliques and will finish off the defined look!

Diet is the most important thing IMO followed by sleep/rest. Funny really that what you do in the gym isn't the most, or even the second most, important thing!

Yeah I know! Another question mate, how often do you shake up your routine? ATM, i just feel like im starting all over again i.e. everytime I have to rest from my shoulder - its S*** lol.

I goto the gym 4/5 times a week, and i dont personally rate training like that, i train specific muscles one day I.E Today im just training Chest and so on through the week so it strains the muscle more and works it rather than only doing 1 session onit a day.

Inclined sit ups you mean? Inclined crunches would be difficult to do without sliding down the bench :p

Yeah they are very good at targeting the lower portion of the abs, as are hanging leg raises (hang from a bar and try and bring your knees to your collar bone with your knees bent). You shouldn't be able to bring them that far up but it's to emphasise the movement of the hips rather than just bringing your feet up.

Look into russian twists also, they're very good for the lateral obliques and will finish off the defined look!

Yeah good work out, lifting your legs isn't that hardest bit :p its keeping your self from swinging haha.

Well tone only comes with lower body fat percentages so you won't see anything until you get to a certain %. But you can do things in the meantime so that when it does get to that point you will be toned.

To tone up you want to be doing exercises in the 12-15 rep range, meaning a lower weight.

As stated before compound exercises are the best as they incorporate multiple muscle groups, maximising your gains.

If you need any more detailed info send me a PM and I'd be delighted to offer my opinions (y)

You actually dont have to do lower weight more reps to tone, its about body fat % You need to diet whilst just working out, you could even do the heaviest weight you lift 4 x 8 reps this will also tone you.
Im currently looking to tone up as i'v filled out alot and want to look " Lean " :)

You actually dont have to do lower weight more reps to tone, its about body fat % You need to diet whilst just working out, you could even do the heaviest weight you lift 4 x 8 reps this will also tone you.

Exactly....A lot of people misunderstand the whole toning thing....

The amount of magazine articles (especially women's magazines) that make out you can burn fat from a specific area by exercising that body part is astounding as it's all a load of rubbish....

Where your body stores fat is largely genetic and no amount of sit-ups will give you a six pack if you have a spare tyre covering it up!

If people want to be ripped then need to get lean. (y)

Exactly....A lot of people misunderstand the whole toning thing....

The amount of magazine articles (especially women's magazines) that make out you can burn fat from a specific area by exercising that body part is astounding as it's all a load of rubbish....

Where your body stores fat is largely genetic and no amount of sit-ups will give you a six pack if you have a spare tyre covering it up!

If people want to be ripped then need to get lean. (y)
Exactly, lots of squats, pull ups, dips, sit ups, deadlifts, cardio and most of all EAT WELL!

You actually dont have to do lower weight more reps to tone, its about body fat %

I did originally say it's all about body fat % :) There's is a bit of debate at the moment about what % is 'optimal' as a lot of people prefer to be around 14% (males) since they 'look' bigger. But as you rightly said it is about body fat % and no amount of weight training will burn enough fat to see the change. Cardio is where it's at.

The misconception that annoys me the most is that of 'how may calories do I need to burn to lose weight?' It's not really a case of how many it's a case of where they come from. Obviously if you burn 800 calories from fat then it's a good thing. Too many 'instructors' advise doing 20 minutes of high intensity work to help lose weight. This only works if your diet is SPOT ON because you are burning calories from the food you have eaten that day. If you were to do an hour at a lower intensity you would have burned calories from stored fat.

For example:

20 minutes high intensity running - calories burned 500 (from carbohydrate stores)

60 minutes low intensity jogging - calories burned 500 (from fat stores)

Went a bit off track there but no doubt the info will be useful to someone, or I hope it will be :p

Oh and the trick to not swinging on hanging leg raises is do it slowly...it's also burns more :D

I did originally say it's all about body fat % :) There's is a bit of debate at the moment about what % is 'optimal' as a lot of people prefer to be around 14% (males) since they 'look' bigger. But as you rightly said it is about body fat % and no amount of weight training will burn enough fat to see the change. Cardio is where it's at.

The misconception that annoys me the most is that of 'how may calories do I need to burn to lose weight?' It's not really a case of how many it's a case of where they come from. Obviously if you burn 800 calories from fat then it's a good thing. Too many 'instructors' advise doing 20 minutes of high intensity work to help lose weight. This only works if your diet is SPOT ON because you are burning calories from the food you have eaten that day. If you were to do an hour at a lower intensity you would have burned calories from stored fat.

For example:

20 minutes high intensity running - calories burned 500 (from carbohydrate stores)

thats great because im trying to lose my belly as I rest my shoulder and I was also caught in the same confusion

For example:

Went a bit off track there but no doubt the info will be useful to someone, or I hope it will be :p

Oh and the trick to not swinging on hanging leg raises is do it slowly...it's also burns more :D

Thats a pretty good explanantion, but to loose weight you have obviously got to go below you calorie/fat allowance and to make sure your doing it right measure how big your arms are chest, belly, legs etc and also take before and after pictures to see how far you come, you'll also need to work out your BMI (Body mass index) and RMR (Resting metabolism Rate) and your calorie allowance as EVERYONE is different. Then once you nail diet and dont go over and do alot of training/cardio you'll drop it in no time! :slayer:

WARNING! Long read!

Thats a pretty good explanantion, but to loose weight you have obviously got to go below you calorie/fat allowance and to make sure your doing it right measure how big your arms are chest, belly, legs etc and also take before and after pictures to see how far you come, you'll also need to work out your BMI (Body mass index) and RMR (Resting metabolism Rate) and your calorie allowance as EVERYONE is different. Then once you nail diet and dont go over and do alot of training/cardio you'll drop it in no time! :slayer:

I tend to ignore BMI as it isn't a particularly accurate indicator. It's good as a starting point but once you start to train and gain muscle mass it loses it's importance.

As I have said and no doubt will keep saying diet is the key. As you correctly pointed out you have to be below your calorie allowance. Below is how to work out your daily macros (can be quite confusing so if anyone wants help with it, you know where I am!)

Taken from bodybuilding.com forum:

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): This is the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level)....

TEE (total energy expenditure)

LBM - Lean body mass

How much do you need?
There is a multitude of things that impact a persons MAINTENANCE calorie requirements
- Age and sex (males generally need > females for any given age)
- Total weight and lean mass (more lean mass = more needed)
- Physiological status (eg: sick or injured, pregnant, growth and 'enhancement')
- Hormones (eg: thyroid hormone levels, growth hormone levels)
- Exercise level (more activity = more needed)
- Daily activity level (more activity = more needed)
- Diet (that is - macronutrient intake)

Estimating Requirements
The simplest method of estimating needs is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically:
- 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]
- 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]
- 38 to 40 kcals/kg/day for those involved in vigorous activity and highly active jobs [16-18 kcal/ pound].
For those involved in HEAVY training (eg: athletes) - the demand is even greater:
- 41 to 50 kcals/kg/day for those involved in moderate to heavy training (for example: 15-20 hrs/ week training) [18.5-22 kcal/ pound]
- 50 or above kcals/kg/day for those involved in heavy to extreme training [> 22 kcal/ pound]

There are, however, a number of more complex formula which calculate a baseline BMR, which you multiply by an 'activity variable' to give TEE.
1/ Harris-Benedict formula:
Particularly inaccurate & derived from studies on LEAN, YOUNG, ACTIVE males in a COLD lab MANY YEARS AGO (1919). Notorious for OVERESTIMATING requirements, especially in the overweight. IF YOU CAN AVOID IT, DON'T USE IT!
For MEN: BMR = 66 + [13.7 x weight (kg)] + [5 x height (cm)] - [6.76 x age (years)]
For WOMEN: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]

2/Mifflin-St Jeor:
Developed in the 1990s and more realistic in todays settings, but it still doesn't take into consideration the differences as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it OVERESTIMATES NEEDS, ESPECIALLY IN THE OVERWEIGHT.
For MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
For WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

3/Katch-McArdle:
Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

So to convert BMR a TOTAL requirement you multiply the result by:
1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

How Accurate are they?
Although these (sometimes) give rough ball-park figures, they are still 'guesstimations'. Most people still OVERESTIMATE activity, and UNDERESTIMATE bodyfat & end up eating TOO MUCH. So - use these as 'rough figures' and monitor your weight/ measurements for 2-4 weeks. IF your weight is stable/ measurements are stable, then you have likely found maintenance.

Using the Above to Recalculate Based on Goals
You will need to DECREASE or INCREASE intake based on your goals (eg: lose or gain mass). And instead of using 'generic calorie amounts' (eg: 500 cals/ day), this is calculated on a % of your maintenance. Why? The effect of a given calorie amount on an individual is going to be markedly different based on their size/ total calorie intake. For example - subtracting 500 cals/ day from a 115# females 1500 total intake is 1/3rd of her total cals but 500 cals/ day for a 215# male on 3500 total intake is only 1/6th of their total... And it will result in markedly different effects on their energy levels and weight loss. Generally:
- to ADD weight: ADD 10-20% calories to your total from above
- to LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% calories from your total from above
Then monitor your results and adjust as required.

NOTE: IF YOU ARE LESS THAN 18 YRS OF AGE - THESE FORMULA WILL NOT BE ACCURATE!
There is an energy cost associated with growth / inefficient movement / high surface area:mass ratio.
As a teenager I would also STRONGLY suggest you don't obsess on calories and macros! Eat well, exercise regularly, and have fun while you can!

Macronutrient Needs
Once you work out the above, you can work out how much of each macronutrient you should aim for. This should NOT be based on a generic RATIO of total calorie intake such as '30:40:30 or 40:40:20 Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have for macronutrients. It works in terms of SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per LEAN MASS or TOTAL MASS. This is one of the areas that is MOST often confused - so to try to make it as simple as possible:

1. Protein: Believe it or not - Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue. In this, the general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena. And to run through BOTH areas......
GENERAL sports nutrition /most studies out suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS then the following protein intakes are sufficient:
STRENGTH training -> 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
ENDURANCE training -> 1.4 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
BUT they also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.

Some general 'bodybuilding' guidelines would be as follows:
- If bodyfat UNKNOWN but AVERAGE = 1-1.25g per pound TOTAL weight
- If bodyfat KNOWN = 1.25-1.5g per pound LEAN weight
If you are VERY LEAN or if you are on a LOW TOTAL CALORIE INTAKE then protein becomes more important - so:
- Average bodyfat, lower calorie intake = 1.25-1.5 per pound total mass
- Bodyfat known, lower calorie intake = 1.33-2 per pounds lean mass
If you are VERY OVERWEIGHT, VERY INACTIVE, and NOT on a lower calorie diet then you can decrease slightly BELOW the above levels:
- overweight or high calorie intake = ~ 1 x LEAN mass to 0.8-1 x total weight in pounds

Anecdotally, most find the HIGHER protein intake better for satiety, partitioning, and blood sugar control. So UNLESS you are specifically guided to use the GENERAL sports nutrition guidelines, I would suggest the BODYBUILDING values.

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity. Additionally - any form of high intensity training will benefit from a 'fat buffer' in your diet - which acts to control free radical damage and inflammation. General guides:
Average or lean: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.45 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
High bodyfat: 1-2g fat/ LEAN weight [between 0.45 - 1g LEAN weight/ pounds]
IF low calorie dieting - you can decrease further, but as a minimum, I would not suggest LESS than about 0.35g/ pound.
Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...

3. Carbs: VERY important for athletes, HIGHLY ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS - Carbs help with workout intensity, health, and satiety (and sanity). But there are no specific 'requirements' for your body. Carbs are basically used by most as 'the extra stuff'.
For 'general folk' to calculate your carbs you just calculate it from the calories left over from fats/ protein:
carb calories = Total calorie needs - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])]
carbs in grams = above total/ 4

If you are an athlete - I would actually suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for these as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
highly active: 6.5 - 9 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)

PRACTICAL EXAMPLE:

I weigh 155lbs (70kg) with 7.5% bodyfat (very skinny :( )

BMR = 370 + (21.6*LBM)
Where LBM = [total weight (kg) * (100-bf%)]/100
LBM = [70*(100-7.5)]/100
= [70*(92.5/100)]
= 70*0.925
= 64.75kg

BMR = 370 + (21.6*64.25)
= 370 + 1398
= 1768

Multiply your BMR (1768) by your ACTIVITY FACTOR. For me it is around 1.5, giving a total of 2652.

Take this total and ADD 10-20% to gain mass and SUBTRACT 10-20% to lose weight. Since I am trying to gain weight my caloric intake for the day would be 3182 calories.

Now that we know how many calories to eat we need to work out where they come from.

Protein - I am going to use the recommendations for the 'bodybuilding' bit, and since I am lean with little bf% I will be using 1.5-2 g/lbm which gives 96-128g of protein a day which is 384-512 calories from protein. (multiply by 4)

Fat - I am lean so I will be using around 0.7g per lb so 108g of fat which gives 976 calories from fat (multiply by 9)

Carbs - As suggested calculate from the remaining calories.
Total calories - ([protein grams*4]+[fat grams*9])
3182 - (384+976) = 3182 - 1360
= 1822

Divide this by 4 to calculate the grams = 455g (using minimum protein, 96g)

If we use the maximum protein value (128g) the results are:
3182 - (512+976) = 3182 - 1488
= 1649, divide by 4 = 423.5g

So there we have it...quite mathematical but it's not too hard once you get stuck in.

Calories - 3182
Protein - 96-128g
Fats - 108g
Carbs - 423-455g

Re: WARNING! Long read!

Righty, this week was my slightly tweaked plan - and man, today with the changes felt awesome ... I was so pumped :)

Tell you what though - hanging leg raises are HARD!

Day A (Mon + Fri)
-----------------
Bench Press
Seated Row
Shoulder Press
Wide Grip Pullups
Bicep Curls
Parallel Bar Dips
Hammer Grip Chin Ups (these feel GREAT!)
Hanging Leg Raises (OMG these are hard!)

Day B (At home - Wed)
-----
Incline Push Ups
Raised Leg Crunches (These feel great too, your abs BURN!)
Dumbbell French Press

The reason Wed is a home day, is because the gym is £9.40 a time! Once I get back to Taiwan, I could use the gym again - so I might also add the Leg Press machine to Wednesday's routine.

Possibly some cardio too? Or is that going to be counter productive? (a 30 minute cycle whilst watching the tv... :D)

Nothing counter productive about cardio providing you do it on an off day. It helps keep your fat gain down so your gains will all be lean muscle mass.

Have you looked into push/pull split routines? These would be good once you get more gym time.

The routine you've got at the moment you could get away with a fat loss session on the Wednesday because it's too intense. If all else fails just go for a jog at a weekend or something.
Sorry, is that could or couldn't? (don't get the intense bit :))

As for today, I've dropped the leg raises as they are still a bit too hard to do them properly and I couldn't feel the ab hit so much, so I've changed to the "Raised Leg Crunches" (using the big ball thing in the gym, as the benches are a bit close together)

Also now incorporating the "Vacuum" (TVA) in at the end of my time, which I can do whilst watching the gym TV (y) - that gives a real burn ... nice!

On Thursday, I'm hoping to move the weights on the dumbbell curls from 12kg to 14kg (y) (this will then mean I've doubled my lift-able weight since I started! happy happy!)

Sorry, is that could or couldn't? (don't get the intense bit :))

My bad, it's meant to read 'it isn't too intense'. Fat burning is never done at a high intensity as around 30 minutes is required for the energy systems to transfer completely to using fat as a fuel rather than carbs.

Yeah the hanging leg raises are a killer if you can do them to start with lol good idea leaving them for now. I can't do them properly either (n) need to strengthen my abs!

Back