Any weight lifters on the forum?

Currently reading:
Any weight lifters on the forum?

About 3 months ago, I got fed up of not being able to lift much - haha - so I started down the local gym on the weights. The first month was tough, but after that things really started to change :)

Unfortunately I don't have any before photos - but the difference is massive. When I got back to the UK, people all asked me if I had been working out, as my shoulders were a lot broader :)

Currently I'm working on 3 x 12 strategy (on a 6-12 rep range) 2 times a week - upgrading whenever I can do the full 3 x 12 with the following plan.

Bench Press
Seated Row
Shoulder Press
Lat Pull Down
Seated Dumbbell Curls
Weighed Parallel Bar Dips
Seated Hammer Curls
French Press Tricep Extensions

My favourite are the Dips, the burn you feel is fantastic (y)

So - what does everyone else do and how are your gains going?

Yeah, it is crap :( ever since stopping my personal training 10 months ago, I have gone downhill...

I really need to start using the weights again in my spare room! ;)

I'm thinking about doing some weights once I've lost a bit more weight, ideally I want to get down to 15 stone before I start though.

i love training, my mam has filled the gym with crap out of the loft so i'm going to join a gym to train through winter, not sure if it's just me but if youve trained before and been in good shape, when you stop you start to feel a bit crap about yourself.

i love training, my mam has filled the gym with crap out of the loft so i'm going to join a gym to train through winter, not sure if it's just me but if youve trained before and been in good shape, when you stop you start to feel a bit crap about yourself.
Yes!

Since I got back here, I had 2 week break - joined the gym, then was sick for 2 weeks. So a month off - and you're right - I felt so bad about it ... it's great to be finally going again :)

I keep trying to do this 100 pushup challenge. Got onto week 4 of 6 last time before I hurt something, then got a cold, and once again fell off the path.

One day, I'll do it. honest.

I'm the same...I'll do it for a couple of weeks or so, then something happens and I don't do anymore lol.

Going to start either tonight or tomorrow I think!

Im in about week 5/8 of a muscle building programme

I go 3 times a week and have split routines into 2 (originally 4) so do ill do one routine twice a week and one once then swap over following week

i do 2 x 12 reps but add weight the following week where i can

Routine 1

Barbell bench press
Barbell bent over row
Dumbell flye
Seated reverse fly
Swiss ball preacher curl
French Press
Beginner squat
Dumbell lunge
Single leg standing calf raise
Crunch twist
Reverse crunch

Routine 2

Assisted pull up
Bar military press
Upright row
Triceps assisted dip
Machine biceps curl
Machine triceps extension
Dead lift
Dumbell lunge
Single leg styanding calf raise
Hanging leg raise
Ab crunch on a ball

I havent got really any bigger but have got more defined, you can tell i go to gym

Bit hard for me to put weight on being diabetic, cant take any of the shakes, vitamins or anything like that

Last edited:
Im in about week 5/8 of a muscle building programme

I go 3 times a week and have split routines into 2 (originally 4) so do ill do one routine twice a week and one once then swap over following week

i do 2 x 12 reps but add weight the following week where i can

Routine 1

Barbell bench press
Barbell bent over row
Dumbell flye
Seated reverse fly
Swiss ball preacher curl
French Press
Beginner squat
Dumbell lunge
Single leg standing calf raise
Crunch twist
Reverse crunch

Routine 2

Assisted pull up
Bar military press
Upright row
Triceps assisted dip
Machine biceps curl
Machine triceps extension
Dead lift
Dumbell lunge
Single leg styanding calf raise
Hanging leg raise
Ab crunch on a ball

I havent got really any bigger but have got more defined, you can tell i go to gym

Bit hard for me to put weight on being diabetic, cant take any of the shakes, vitamins or anything like that
How long do each of those splits take you? I've pretty much killed myself by the end of mine, I don't think I could add another 3 exercises in!!

If im taking my time each routine takes me about an hour to an hour and a half, i normally just go in there get on with it and come out, i dont really mingle with anyone so not there any longer than necessary

Some days im in a rush, late home from work want to get home etc but want to visit gym so rush round

The second routine isnt as severe as the first i have done that one in about 40 minutes

I also go early mornings or straight from work so its normally quiet and am not having to queue up for stuff as well

Last edited:
I have a weights bench and weights at home, but never really bothered with the bench, just used to use the free weights. (have advertised them for sale earlier this week).

When I bought the bench and weights I was working at a breakers yard and a recycling centre, which meant all day every day I was lifting heavy awkward weights. I was swimming most days and several times a week I was going climbing / bouldering. I wanted the weights so I could add power to my physique, which worked really well. Work and everything else was keeping me toned and very fit. I used to do a quick warm up of 10 reps of various techniques with a couple of kgs, then I'd pile on as much as I could for as manys reps as I could without straining too much, then warm down with sets of 10 reps.

At the time I wasn't actually eating enough so never really got beyond very toned and strong. In the last 6 years I've barely touched the weights. My stomach now wobbles and is soft and I've got fleshy bits at the sides. Somehow I'm actually stronger now but lack staminar and overall fitness. I think I was simply trying to do too much and never gave my body the chance to recover.

the key to building muscle all over and definition is deadlifts and squats....without these in your routine your missing out!

Dealifts are the most satisfying exercise ive done....nothign beats the feeling of cleaning 150% of your body weight off the floor.

Ive been seriously hitting the weights for about 2 months, previosu to that 3 months of easing myself back into the gym...

Generally do 3 days weight training and 2 days cardio...but the cardio has switched now from running in HIIT format to boxing and callisthenics...

On my weight training day, each day is either targeting "core and legs" , "triceps and chest" and the third is "biceps and back".throughout the three days i also work into each one of the three one of the thee deltoid heads and traps get done as part of bicep and back day....

i dont have a set routine as the body adapts very easily limiting gains...and ill do the three days in one order for 4 weeks then mix it up...

over the course of 2 months i have seen significant changes....

at the beginning i couldnt do 1 pull up....can now do in excess of 15...could only do 20 or so push ups....can now do over 60...

Deadlifts were at about 70kg and squats were at 90kg...both are now at 140kg...

needless to say im happy, others have also noticed a visual change (although my personal recognition is less as i see myself every day)

Back