any FF'ers rehomed a greyhound?

Currently reading:
any FF'ers rehomed a greyhound?

I think there are a few of us on here that have.

We had one for about a year, lovely dog, brilliant with kids, although being an ex-racer she went after anything small and fluffy. So a muzzle was a MUST when taking her for walks.

What kinda thing do you wanna know?

We did and probably looking to get one next year again.

Lolita is the lady to ask as she (I believe) helps out in rescue centre

I had a greyhound/saluki cross from a rescue centre,

They are the most loyal and gentle dogs you can have.

I got mine from West of England Greyhound rescue:

http://www.grwe.com/

Attachments

• Giles Haydn Scooby.jpg
    Giles Haydn Scooby.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 25
I had a rescue greyhound for two years. He was loverly, but sometimes a complete nightmare.

As already said anything small and fluffy he'd chase and try to kill :(

Any meat not in the fridge / freezer left on a worktop was fair game.

Exercise is a must but they don't need lots of long walks they do need a good run.

I miss him loads :cry:

What kinda thing do you wanna know?

I have read a lot about them, been looking at the ones that raced at belle vue in manchester, and at owlerton in sheffield

We were thinking of getting another dog and wanted a change, we always go for rescue dogs, we have two sausage dogs at the moment... probably look weird with a greyhound!!

Greyhounds SHOULD be ok with other dogs, but you should probably ask at the rehoming centre if you can see how the greyhound will react with your other dogs. Ours (after being rehomed from us as noone was ever at home) actually killed a yorkshire terrier because her new owners didn't walk her with a muzzle on :( But then, it's all she's known - to chase small fluffy things.

If you do decide to rehome one, good on you. These dogs are so gentle around people and generally pretty affectionate too. Just please make sure that they'll be OK around you other dogs, I'd hate to hear if anything bad did ever happen.

we've got a greyhound/border collie cross and she's absolutely beautiful. She has mostly greyhound traits and is one of/if not the nicest dog we've ever had. Friendly, soft, absolutely no malicious intent whatsoever.

So far, the only issue we have had with her (as already mentioned) is that anything she fancies in the food department if it's not put away is fair game! Also, although she's more than happy to lie around the house (on beds or sofas!) she does get bored so you have to keep them entertained! She'll also chew things like cardboard boxes etc if she's lying close enough to them but she's never actually been destructive in a serious manner.

Also, we are all at work and although myself and my dad work from home unless out on site she does get left occassionally for a day whilst we are all out at work. There's no problem as she just lies down with our other dog and waits for us to get back! As long as she is regularly exerciesed then she's perfectly happy but if you miss one or two days walks because of commitments or weather etc then it's not a major issue.

If you're in the market for a dog then IMO you won't be sorry to have a greyhound. As long as you give them love you'll get that back! :)

Last edited:
We rescued a greyhouse/deerhound from a farm after he ate some chickens. The farmer said he was going to shoot him, so we took him there and then.

Brilliant dog, very calm mannered, and sleepy! Unfortunatley he developed cancer in his hip and it wasn't fair. He also used to talk to us. Alot. But he was awesome!

Back