General Another Fan Heater Issue

Currently reading:
General Another Fan Heater Issue

tigger1uk

A couple of years ago, I replaced the fan heater and resistor after the fan packed up.
I now have 2 more issues which are:
1: The fan only comes on in the 1,2,and 3 position...nothing in the 4 position.
2: Regardless of how long the engine has been running, the heater only blows cold air out of the vents.

I have read various threads and have been left a little confused as some say it's a resistor problem and some a wiring one with regards no power on 4.
I have no idea as to why it is only blowing cold.
Any help in resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated.
I don't want to take it to a garage if possible and am looking to fix it cheaply as I'm not intending on having the car for too much longer, but it's blummin' freezing in it and a pain to demist the windows!
Cheers

My old Grande had a problem with an air lock in the heater matrix, was a nightmare to bleed the air out of the system but once done the warm air flowed once again. As for the fan if the problem existed immediately after you replaced the resistor, then I would have to wonder if you fitted the correct resistor as the older puntos had less connections, and thus less settings

Both issues only started happening a couple of weeks ago.
When I last changed the fan and resistor, everything worked fine and that was a couple of years ago now.
Just want to find out whether it is gonna take a new resistor or is more likely the loom as the last time the fan stopped completely and needed to be replaced...but from what I have read, most people seem to report that position 4 works and the other 3 don't if it's the resistor

I have the problem of everything working except on position 4. I believe the wiring melts when the blower is getting to the end of its life. I've changed the wiring/resistor and still nothing on 4. A new blower is on the way because even on 3 it's slow.
As position 4 is a straight connection that bypasses the resistor (technically it still goes in and out of resistor block) You would think that it would work regardless.

I have the problem of everything working except on position 4. I believe the wiring melts when the blower is getting to the end of its life. I've changed the wiring/resistor and still nothing on 4. A new blower is on the way because even on 3 it's slow.
As position 4 is a straight connection that bypasses the resistor (technically it still goes in and out of resistor block) You would think that it would work regardless.

If you have aircon make sure you change the pollen filter, as a blocked filter is a common cause for a dead blower motor

No Aircon. Just a basic Active.
I did my Son in Law's blower last year but that had failed on all speeds. Taking apart the old blower I can see that there is hardly any life left in the brushes. Probably the springs are at maximum reach and insufficient to keep contact. I believe that's why some owners report that distorting the casing sometimes brings the blower on?

I believe that's why some owners report that distorting the casing sometimes brings the blower on?

Yeah, like the hammer/broom stick trick would "revive" a worn starter ...

Cheers and stay well All, Bernie.

My old Grande had a problem with an air lock in the heater matrix, was a nightmare to bleed the air out of the system but once done the warm air flowed once again. As for the fan if the problem existed immediately after you replaced the resistor, then I would have to wonder if you fitted the correct resistor as the older puntos had less connections, and thus less settings
As someone with a giant air bubble in the heater matrix and no fan speeds working at all, I feel your pain! Can I ask what did you do to bleed the system to get rid of the air bubble? I feel like mine is getting worse and I'd like to get rid of it if I can.

As someone with a giant air bubble in the heater matrix and no fan speeds working at all, I feel your pain! Can I ask what did you do to bleed the system to get rid of the air bubble? I feel like mine is getting worse and I'd like to get rid of it if I can.

Hi :)
This is a bit of an old post.. about an ageold problem..or 2

Your fan will be an electrical problem.. normally crispy wiring.. :eek:

However the coolant system needs looking at sooner.. !!

How had it gained an air pocket..?

Losing coolant can cook the engine.. costs will write it off :(

Tell us more :)

Charlie

Come on, what "bubble"? :rolleyes:
Grande has a bit improved cooling system (comparing to Punto generations 1 and 2).
It's easier to air-bleed (it's almost self bleeding).

If you get cold air only, first thing is a heater matrix (clogged), you can check if it's cold or hot (just pop the central console/tunnel side cover or whatever it's called in english), just touch it (both pipes IN/OUT)! Simple.
Second thing is a air flaps inside console. This is real Hot/Cold control (some people still think, there's a coolant valve somewhere = no such thing in Punto or most Fiats, you control air, heater is always hot).
Other things. Restricted air inlet, filter. Maybe thermostat has something to do. Plus coolant condition (must be absolutely free of any dirt etc., and still pink-ish color, no excuses). Pump is the last thing to worry (it can leak, but must still be pumping).

PS
"Air" pocket in the system may be exhaust gases, not air... You know what that means (head gasket). Possible in the 150000-200000 km "mileage" range, but most common is about 250000 km or more. Welcome to the "FIRE" engines family.

Last edited:
If i was the person asking this basic question, I'd just throw in the towel and take it to a garage to have the coolant changed and bled, pressure test and head gasket checked. It's not that expensive!

Many GPs lack the coolant temperature gauge and hot engine warning light will definitely mean cooked headgasket. However I've seen many Fiats with 300k on clock without engine job done so it all comes down to maintenance. Any neglected car would need expensive repairs sooner, not only Fiats.

Hi Amy, I literally forced the water through the cabin heater with a hose pipe, opened up the pipes going into the heater matrix from the back of the thermostat housing and the top hose of the radiator l, pushed the water in at the thermostat housing through the heater and then into the engine till it started pouring out the top hose, that way I was able to ensure I pushed all the air out of the heater.

Back