General another day another empty wallet!

Currently reading:
General another day another empty wallet!

09 johno

Established member
why does it always happen when you have an appointment somewhere?
It was bit frosty this morning so loaded the car with better half and dog ready to take her to a hair appointment.
Sat with the engine running waiting for the screen to clear and all seemed well.
Indicated to pull out, select first gear, ease off the clutch, roll forward a meter when there was an almighty bang from the rear offside quarter.o_O
Immediately stopped hand brake on neutral selected and went to check the underside in my best bib and tucker.
The driver side coil spring didn't look right, so parked up again off loaded the car and jumped in the Motorhome (only took it out for a spin last week so was good to go with a little messing around) to get the Mrs to her appointment which we made with time to spare.
When we got back I brought the Panda onto the drive parking the MH on the road and had a good look with torch in hand, the coil spring had turned a little with driving onto the driveway and the break is clear to see, glad it happened when it did and not at 60 mph down the road. 2 New KYB coils on order, so fingers crossed the weather holds and I will get them done this weekend as we need the car next week for more appointments.

Attachments

• snapped coil spring Panda.jpg
    snapped coil spring Panda.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 122
Mind me asking where you got your second hand struts from?
last one was off eBay £25 delivered for a Suzuki Alto there dearer everywhere and quite hard to find

But for the Panda I pay around £15-£20 each from a local breakers. Can never remember their name but the last were from Limekiln Lane, Stoke-On-Trent. They take it off for you. But if you need one instantly you will need to phone around

they did give me a very new one but had to exchange it. The post 2012 look the same but dont fit. The mount for the anti roll bar is in a different position.

The springs are out and have cleaned up the spring pans, under all that mud there is very little corrosion. I treated the pans and the bit behind the damper with rust converter just in case to be followed by 2-3 coats of paint then a coat of underseal wax so should be good for a few years yet! Not many speed bumps where I am, I think it was caused by age hardening over the last 13 years. the new springs arrived on time today so should be back together in time for Monday, I might even change the brake shoes while I'm at it!;)

The spring pans crack at the front (far side when looked at from behind the car) about 1/2" to 1" inboard of the weld to the swing arm. The metal corrodes fastest at that point, probably stress corrosion.

So once cleaned up the spring pans recieved 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of anti chip followed by an overall coating along the entire axle beam of underbody seal, which is possibly now better protected than from the factory. fitting the new springs tommorow.
(phot of the left pan dosn't want to upload for some reason :()

Attachments

• right spring pan.jpg
    right spring pan.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
The new springs are now installed and a test drive taken place. also adjusted the handbrake cable while i was at it.
Even though the springs are of the same length and diameter, the rear of my Panda seems to sit higher and feels more solid and stable at the back, so maybe the originals were well beyond there best or the new once have a higher weight capacity or just need bedding in. Which ever it is , i am happy with the result (y)

Back