Amp remote wire?!

Currently reading:
Amp remote wire?!

Okay so I've connected power, ground, and cables to the head unit for speaker connections, to my amp. But it's not turning on, so I'm assuming it's essential that the remote wire is connected, and if so is there a connection on the back of a standard head unit on a GP?

Thanks to anyone who can help me

Yeah I temporarily wired mine up, but when I switch off the ignition the amp is still on, I've tried it on all of the cables at the back of the head unit and no luck. I'm still running standard GP head unit.

I've heard I'll just have to wire up some kind of switch to it to manually turn it off but I don't like the idea of that...

Any suggestions?

OEM HUs rarely have an output for the remote wire.

Ideally what you want is a +12V supply switched by the HU power circuit (i.e. HU powers up, remote sees +12V, amp switches on). What a lot of people do with OEM HUs is run a constant 12V supply (remember to fuse it, safety first) and put a switch in. The disadvantage is you then have to remember to switch it off every time otherwise you'll flatten the battery.

OEM HUs rarely have an output for the remote wire.

Ideally what you want is a +12V supply switched by the HU power circuit (i.e. HU powers up, remote sees +12V, amp switches on). What a lot of people do with OEM HUs is run a constant 12V supply (remember to fuse it, safety first) and put a switch in. The disadvantage is you then have to remember to switch it off every time otherwise you'll flatten the battery.
Yeah that's basically what I'm going to be doing I think because there's nothing else that can be done really.

EDIT: and if I got a new head unit, I'd lose the functionality of the wheel controls.

You will get a much better quality if you buy a New Hu and if you stick to the ususal makes i.e, Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine and sony connects2 do a stalk adaptor kit.

I can understand you wanting to keep the factory head unit, aftermarket ones dont suit the GP.
Yeah I prefer the standard

Surely if any 12v switched live feed is suitable he can run the remote wire from the electric window switch or the cigarette lighter?
I think it depends on the fuse it runs through

Last edited:
Back