Technical amber triangle - Generic warning light

Currently reading:
Technical amber triangle - Generic warning light

TimTom

this light is always on no exterior lights are out and no message comes up on my dash could this be the engine oil pressure sensor?

Hi

Oil pressure.. thats the red light that goes out as the engine starts

Not knowing what engine... or trim.. your grande is.. I am struggling to think of an 'engine fault'

Best bet is to plug in an OBD Cable.. and interrogate both the engine and body

Is it a constant.. or just comes on periodically??

Brake lights was a favourite with my oldest grande..

Hi

Oil pressure.. thats the red light that goes out as the engine starts

Not knowing what engine... or trim.. your grande is.. I am struggling to think of an 'engine fault'

Best bet is to plug in an OBD Cable.. and interrogate both the engine and body

Is it a constant.. or just comes on periodically??

Brake lights was a favourite with my oldest grande..
it’s a 2008 grande punto GP 1.4 8v, it’s always on.

I had the same light last Saturday.
It was oil pressure switch malfunction and according to freeze frame data
it came on when the engine was not running.
I think that when electric is turned on, it checks that oil pressure switch is grounded.
It also checks Start&Stop fault, Exterior lights fault and Fuel cut-off switch tripped.

I have a 2015 Fiat Punto 1.2 Easy. Orange triangle light came on and stayed on two days ago. The car still drove fine, OBD2 Scan showed no fault codes and all bulbs work fine. Live data shows no anomalies either.

The same thing happened on Xmas eve but on that occasion the orange triangle light was followed by car going into limp mode and I had to be recovered by a breakdown service. Once I was home the car reversed off the truck with no issues. It then drove fine until the light came on again two days ago. Cannot find a similar experience to this on the forum or anywhere else and not wishing to start throwing parts at it with no likely cause I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

I have a 2015 Fiat Punto 1.2 Easy. Orange triangle light came on and stayed on two days ago. The car still drove fine, OBD2 Scan showed no fault codes and all bulbs work fine. Live data shows no anomalies either.

The same thing happened on Xmas eve but on that occasion the orange triangle light was followed by car going into limp mode and I had to be recovered by a breakdown service. Once I was home the car reversed off the truck with no issues. It then drove fine until the light came on again two days ago. Cannot find a similar experience to this on the forum or anywhere else and not wishing to start throwing parts at it with no likely cause I wonder if anyone has any ideas?
my grande punto had a triangle amber warning light constantly and i found out that it was an oil pressure sensor that needed changing

I think failing bulbs that have high resistance can also bring this fault on. Check number plate lamps are not heavily blackend as well.

Thanks very much for that, it gives me something to focus on.
D6B597FF-902F-4FA8-A185-DA39D02049C2.png

Thank all for these replies. I just ordered oil/pollen/air filters, a sump plug and an oil pressure switch which is easy to change when I service the car as its part of the oil flter housing. I'll also check all the lights work in case the bulb failure dash warning isnt working. If its not the oil pressure switch its not the end of the World as only £7.81.
Regards, Steve B

This is where decent diagnostic equipment is a bonus

Connect to the body computer and ECU it tell you precisely what’s wrong if it’s a bulb it will tell you which one if it wiring it will tell you where. 5 minutes well spent

Saves all the bother of having to check everything connected to the light.

However if you don’t have or access the equipment it’s a matter of testing everything it could be.

Number plate, DLR, oil pressure are all just possibilities and reasonably common. DLR can be eliminated on the Panda by switching them off in the menu

Oil pressure is easy to test with a multimeter.

Thank all for these replies. I just ordered oil/pollen/air filters, a sump plug and an oil pressure switch which is easy to change when I service the car as its part of the oil flter housing. I'll also check all the lights work in case the bulb failure dash warning isnt working. If its not the oil pressure switch its not the end of the World as only £7.81.
Regards, Steve B
just make sure you bought the right one i bought the wrong one apparently and garage ordered a different one when it needed to go in for something else. have fun fitting the cabin air filter its an absolute nightmare

just make sure you bought the right one i bought the wrong one apparently and garage ordered a different one when it needed to go in for something else. have fun fitting the cabin air filter its an absolute nightmare
Thanks for the comments. I have a basic scanner but good enough to view live data and see/remove fault codes. Not as good as an all signing all dancing scanner of course. All lights are working fine and I cross checked the oil pressure switch as much as I could so hopefully it'll be the correct one.

Yes I well recall the absolute joy of lying upside down with my head in the footwell to remove/fit the pollen filter. Fine if I was young and about 2 foot tall but not so at 64.

Used the car today and orange light stayed off so the actual cause a bit of a mystery. These intermittent dash warning lights are a pain to track down. Once I get a decent enough non-icy above zero day I'll service it, fit the new oil pressure switch and let you all know what happens for any future forum viewers.

Thanks all, Steve B

Back