General Alternator siezed

Currently reading:
General Alternator siezed

bobhenry999

Guys,
The alternator on my Seicento Sporting has siezed. Is it possible to remove it myself , if so how, or should it be done by a garage, if so, can I just cut the belt off and drive it the 3 miles to the workshop.

Its not that hard to take it off yourself, I think there's a guide on it, one of the bolts is a sod to get out and is hard to get back in if you don't cut a little bit off it But that's all the problem you should run into.

Belt on Sporting does not drive the water pump! So, 3 miles should be OK with a reasonably charged battery.

It's a relatively easy DIY job. Remove driver side front wheel, pop an axle stand underneath. Disconnect the battery, disconnect the connectors to the alternator, take an 8mm ball ended allen key to the 2 bolts which hold the thing on (use a short peice of bar as an extention if necessary). Remove belt, remove alternator.

Belt on Sporting does not drive the water pump! So, 3 miles should be OK with a reasonably charged battery.

It's a relatively easy DIY job. Remove driver side front wheel, pop an axle stand underneath. Disconnect the battery, disconnect the connectors to the alternator, take an 8mm ball ended allen key to the 2 bolts which hold the thing on (use a short peice of bar as an extention if necessary). Remove belt, remove alternator.
These is a guide which tells you how to put it back together, dont look at the guide until you find it wont go back...

noel

Back