Technical Cinq alternator light glowing

Currently reading:
Technical Cinq alternator light glowing

Cinq96

Hello, 15k mile 1996 Cinq sporting. Was in storage since 2005 & recently put back on the road. The alternator warning light has just started glowing, approx 1/2 as bright as when the engine isn't running. Have checked the wires connecting to the alternator & all looks ok.
Also have checked battery voltage with the engine idling with headlights on & off etc, getting 14.5V.
Am I ok to stay using the car as is?

bugsymike

Hello, 15k mile 1996 Cinq sporting. Was in storage since 2005 & recently put back on the road. The alternator warning light has just started glowing, approx 1/2 as bright as when the engine isn't running. Have checked the wires connecting to the alternator & all looks ok.
Also have checked battery voltage with the engine idling with headlights on & off etc, getting 14.5V.
Am I ok to stay using the car as is?
Normally if alternator light glowing it is an indicator that the brushes inside are worn out or sticking.
Assuming no other electrical defects.;)
Auto electrician can replace the brushes etc. but they will probably steer you to a new unit :(.
I have replaced brushes on some alternators, so it depends which route you go.

OP
OP
C

Cinq96

Thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking that with such low miles the possibility of brushes etc being worn would be low.
From some searching on these forums I see mention of rectifiers & diodes etc causing problems at times. I think I'm probably heading towards removing the alternator & if not easily sorted, sourcing another. I had actually replaced the drive belt while doing the timing belt several weeks back.
Was hoping that with 14.6 v showing that I might be able continue using the car with a slightly glowing charge light for the time being at any rate !

bugsymike

Thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking that with such low miles the possibility of brushes etc being worn would be low.
From some searching on these forums I see mention of rectifiers & diodes etc causing problems at times. I think I'm probably heading towards removing the alternator & if not easily sorted, sourcing another. I had actually replaced the drive belt while doing the timing belt several weeks back.
Was hoping that with 14.6 v showing that I might be able continue using the car with a slightly glowing charge light for the time being at any rate !
Not sure about your specific alternator, some are serviceable with a brush set , some come with a rectifier/diode pack and brush assembly as a unit.
Years ago I bought a Citroen Dyane with a faulty alternator and the brushes from the dealer were only £6 and cured the problem. Some later units have the wires inside electrically welded rather than a screw or push on terminal just to prevent DIY, although they would claim it made it more reliable;)
Generally 13.8 to 14.2 is a good charging voltage , so not far out.
Not suggesting getting violent, but if someone is watching the glowing light as a gentle tap on the alternator is delivered it may show if brushes sticking likely. As you say at 15k not going to be worn , but could easily be sticking so no parts required.

rembatt

I had the same issue with the alternator light. I reworked the alternator- change regulator, processed contact surfaces, measured all diods and windings. But the alternator light is still glowing. It lasts at least one year. My Cinq 1996 0.9 works correctly. I guess that the reason my be short cirquit in wire connection between alternator-dashboard.

OP
OP
C

Cinq96

Just to update, the car didn't get used yesterday at all, this evening/night I was out in it, drove approx 30 miles, parked up a few times including once for 3 1/2 hours. Not once did the charge light glow or light up when the engine was running! Hopefully this will continue!

bugsymike

Just to update, the car didn't get used yesterday at all, this evening/night I was out in it, drove approx 30 miles, parked up a few times including once for 3 1/2 hours. Not once did the charge light glow or light up when the engine was running! Hopefully this will continue!
Fingers crossed, though I would say after repairing vehicles since 1969 I have yet to find one that fixed it's self.:)