Technical Alternator for Fiat ducato hymer motorhome

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator for Fiat ducato hymer motorhome

maireadbeag

Good day everyone hope all is well during these trying times.
I have a German import 1993 Fiat,
the alternator is burnt out so I basically got a charge it every so often,
I've had the vehicle for over a year I have a problem locating a new alternator from a supplier,don't have the OEM numbers for the part, I just have the VIN number of vehicle , I have seen alternators online but I don't know if they're compatible.

(ZFA 29000 0 0 0 326917)

Make:
Fiat
Model:
Ducato Hymer.
Year: 1993
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20190512_140132.jpg
    20190512_140132.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
Motorhome it self

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200414_183756_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200414_183756_com.android.chrome.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 39
Perhaps I have it wrong, but I thought that a ZFA 290....... vehicle would be relatively new, manufactured about 2018.

While the VIN number may help with compatability issues, the engine number or type e.g. 2500TD, would probably be more useful, and better still the alternator details from its rating plate.

Given the reported age of the vehicle I am inclined to agree with varesecrazy that the alternator may be repairable.

What is the evidence for saying that the alternator is burnt out? Has it just stopped charging, or do the exposed parts of the windings look as though they have been overheated?

ePer correctly identifies that VIN number as a 1993 2.5 Diesel LHD (non-turbo, I think). Build Date 1992-11-04.

It doesn't give a hit on alternator part number, however (I would assume it is unavailable as an OE Fiat part through obsolescence).

Unless it has an uprated alternator specifically for motorhome use, I would suspect the following (aftermarket unit) is the correct one.

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/ele...ernator-2-4-2-5-d-td-sofim-1981-1994-new.html

...and the quoted dimensions might assist in confirming.

(Though the motorhome appears to be a Knaus, not a Hymer :( )

Almost all generators are repairable, some very easily by changing the brush assembly or regulator unit, both of which you can buy at an auto electrical outlet by showing them the complete original unit so they can see the serial and type numbers to look up in their parts manuals. Far cheaper than buying a reconditioned unit and at least you'll know how to do it yourself next time.

Back