General Alternator Belt cost

Currently reading:
General Alternator Belt cost

ellaway

Hello,

I've just put my car into my nearest Fiat dealer and they've quoted me £140 for an alternator belt, and the same for the compressor belt. This sounds massively overpriced for a simple belt. Has got a view on what I should expect to pay for this.

Cheers,

Lee

This was the price for the part, less VAT, and not fitted.

Hi, think your engine is the same as fitted to the abarth, if so the cost is approx. £15 for the aux belt and the same for the alternator belt. This of course is not fitted, to fit remove offside wheel, undertray, wheel liner. The fitting of the aux belt, crank to compressor, is quite straight forward, this has to be removed first to get to the compressor/ alternator belt. This belt is more awkward to fit, as it has to be pulled over the alternator pulley. I would get another quote, as I dont view this as two seperate jobs (£140???) each. Good luck

I thought it may have been a typing error (added a zero). But when I questioned the woman on the desk she confirmed it was £140 and that's what's on the paperwork. I've just done the cambelt change and purchased the aux belt for £15, however the alternator belt I bought doesn't stretch, so I need the dealer supplied one. I shall phone them tomorrow and see what they came back with. Cheers for your response.

As you have found out the alternator belt must come from fiat. The part number is 46758804 cost me last year £11.35 inc. post. Have they fitted the belt, or do you intend to fit ? regards mike

Hopefully I can pick one up tomorrow and fit it myself. Once that's on I can put the rest of it back together, ready for work on Wed. Fingers crossed.

Hi Ellaway, you will find , or already know that the stretchy belt is a very tight fit, and will have to be turned onto the alternator pulley. There is not much room between the 24mm. nut that holds the pulley onto the shaft and the body frame. Fiat dealers use a special tool that fits the nut and is shallow to be able to turn the pulley almost 360 degs so the belt can be pulled over the edge of the pulley. You could try a 24mm. ring spanner, if you get into trouble let me know. Good luck and mind your fingers.

Back