Technical Air conditioner clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Air conditioner clutch

Noticed today that the air conditioning clutch bearing is locking up and the belt slips around it, unti it freed up.
Can't DIY remove the compressor of course because of the gas.
There is a fair amount of space around the clutch under the engine, and it looks possible to work with the compressor hanging on the pipes. Does anyone have an idea how sensible it would be to get the old pulley and bearing off like that?

I routinely get the car high on ground ramps on the drive, the engine sits high anyway, so would it be possible? See clutch kits available.

Yeah, nothing comes up that's relevant. It is an open question, I infer that the old one has to be prised / pulled off, just don't have a feel as to how stubborn it might be.

You can change the clutch on a lot of air conditioning compressors you take the bolts out of the middle of the pulley take the belt off and pull it off then you can access the clutch behind the pulley but...

What you describe makes me think the actual compressor is seizing or getting stuck as if it where the clutch seizing then it would fail to disengage the air con not cause slipping of the belt?

Thanks Andy for the thoughts. The belt pulley sits on a bearing at the end of the compressor and that bearing is seizing. The clutch engages with the face of the pulley and the rotation of that goes through smaller bearings down the middle to drive the compressor. So when everything is off I can spin the compressor freely, and taking the belt off, I could spin the pulley freely too the other day as the first time it must have spontaneously freed.

It so far has seized twice after standing for a few days. When it was seized today so much the belt slipped round it almost smoking as I watched making a lovely noise! I freed it with a large oil filter wrench... Then was ok... Needs replacing!

Had a proper look again today. Firstly it started no problem and quiet to get it onto the ramps. Removed the belt and all the pulleys feel free including the air compressor pulley. Noted the belt data and length. Estimated the length of belt required to bypass the air con, both lengths readily available.
Then tried to remove the air compressor pulley... No chance of safe removal, needs a proper puller.
Then started to have doubts whether that pulley had even jammed, was it another one? Especially when putting it back together and running the engine everything runs so true it does not look like it is moving. It had definitely been slipping somewhere before but now I notice the air con pulley looks still even when spinning.

Inspected the belt in detail under a magnifying glass and there are lots of bits of grit, about inch spacing, bedded in to the grooves flush with the rubber. Starting to thing the whole belt had stalled on all the pulleys due to normal load, the engine pulley spinning on it, but then an alternator warning light would have been shown and surely I saw belt motion when it squealed?

Decided to order a new belt, and a shorter one to pass the compressor. Either way if it happens again am equipped to investigate more, still blame the air con, so can bypass it in case it really falls apart.

This is a 2012 1.3MJ 95.

Last edited:
I had a problem with the compressor not engaging ....but when the air con system was tested and cleaned with oil and then refilled with gas ...it worked fine .. it seems the oil lubricates the internals of the compressor and clutch ....my local guy did it for 35 euros ..it took about 20 mins ....

Update : got a new belt today and now can see how worn out the old one is.
Fitted the new one and ran the engine. Perfectly quiet now, none of the little ticks and other not quite smooth noises either any more.
All of the shafts spin freely before fitting after being left most of the week so at least for now there aren't any sticking (corroding or failing) bearings....

KISS works well with problems, reminders come round every now and then...

Back