General Air Con Temps...

Currently reading:
General Air Con Temps...

I'm curious.....i've (as many know) have a 12 reg Mylife 1,3D been using the air con the last few days on & off as the temp's dropping!! its terrible from past cars, switch the car on and the air con temp can take a good 15-20 mins of running time to finally get warm air in the cab

now i'm thinking this isnt right?

Morning Fellow Qubist, I'd agree with 'Most Easterly Panda's', it takes a good 10 to 15 Min's to get really hot air from the heater.......

'(joke) Perhaps your problem is expecting hot air from the 'Air Con'......thats for the 'Cold Air'......lol'

With winter on its way, best go out wearing those winter woollies, or let the car warm up on the drive for a while..but if you do that make sure you lock it with the spare key, or if some little 'tow-rag' has it away your insurance will refuse to pay out.
Take care,
Cheers Qube O......

To get the best form your heater (not your Air Con), try this...

Dress warmly.

Turn the temperature knob all the way to the left, the coldest setting.

Turn the fan knob all the way left, off.

Put the recycling lever all the way to the right, no fresh air.

Drive until the temperature guage gets up to the normal mark.

Then change the temp knob to the desired position. Note that full on is best avoided, so back it off a little from the max.

Wait a minute or two. Move the recycling lever full left.

Then turn on the fan to your desired setting.

For defrosting, set the temp as above to coldest position with the recycling lever all the way left. Set the outlets to the defrost position and the fan to 3 or 4. Sounds odd but it works to some extent until the engine is warm enough to to heat the car. Then turn up the heat.

Your engine will come to full operating temp faster if you leave the heat control on its coldest setting. and you'll get full heat sooner. Your heater core is in fact another radiator for the engine and removes the heat it needs to let the engine warm up quickly. When cold, the thermostat keeps coolant from flowing through the main radiator. This lets the engine retain its heat and warm up faster. When the engine gets to normal temp the thermostat opens and collant goes through the radiator to maintain optimum running temp for the engine.

Yes, Diesels take forever to warm up, less wasted heat you see - more efficient. Mine never gets really warm if I'm only using it in town in the bitterest of winters.

But you can use the A/C as well as the heater, in fact you should, I have mine on nearly all the time because it demists the inside of the car in seconds. But not until the engine is a bit warm mind (y)

Last edited:
But you can use the A/C as well as the heater, in fact you should, I have mine on nearly all the time because it demists the inside of the car in seconds. But not until the engine is a bit warm mind (y)

:yeahthat:

I've always got AC on - irritates me at the number of people who think its only for cooling :eek:

I think its more likely coz its a diesel lump that its slow to warm up. 5 minutes and my petrols upto half way on the temp guage blowing out hot air in the cabin.

I do think the aircon is a bit underpowered, think I'm going to check the gas level in it to see if its low.

You use the heater and the aircon at the same time when you want to demist a cold window coz the aircon creates dry air.

Back