Technical Air Con service vs Air con recharge vs antibacterial clean

Currently reading:
Technical Air Con service vs Air con recharge vs antibacterial clean

Hey guys

I'm looking to get an Air con service carried out on my car as it hasn't been done in awhile.

I am deciding between a chain auto centre doing it or finding a local independent garage.

I just wanted to know if I called a garage and asked for an Ac recharge is that basically an AC servic? Or is there more in a service that is worth any extra cost.

I also see at halfords offer antibacterial clean for £20 more, is this something worth having because it will clean out my AC lines? Or is it what I have been seeing on the net where people are just spraying air fresher into vent and ducts (meaning I can basically do my self and save abit).

Thanks again any info appreciated.

Not get the antibacterial clean
It's basically and air freshener type device they put in your. At with the doors closed and air conditioning running

You can get one yourself for less then £10

Also they are mostly the same thing remove all the current gas and refill with fresh and add a quantity of oil
Some may also add a UV due to aid in finding any leaks

A recharge is just that. They evacuate the system and recharge it.
A service should do the above, but in between they should vac and pressure test it. They evacuate the system and then check how long it holds the vacuum. If not as good as it should be, they then inject a dye and repressurise it. Any leaks will show up with the dye, usually under ultraviolet light.

If it has suddenly dropped in performance, the full diagnostic service is a good idea.
If it has just gradually reduced in its effectiveness, a simple recharge should do it, as the gas does leak gently over time.

The antibacterial treatment is, as said above, something you can do yourself, if you wish.
You get an aerosol can with a locking valve. Run the engine with aircon on, and set to recirculate, then lock the valve so the can releases its contents, dump it in the footwell, step outside and shut the door and let it run for as long as the tin says. This circulates the antibacterial gas through the aircon unit inside the car.

When the incoming air is cooled, some moisture drops out of it, forming droplets on the cooling radiator inside the heater unit. When these droplets grow big enough (like watching rain on a window), they drain out under the car. When you turn it off, any moisture not drained out will stay, and can lead to bacteria growing. A system used constantly hardly suffers, but one used only occasionally can build up bacteria and a nasty smell quite quickly.
If it regularly smells nasty, fumigate it yourself. If it smells fine, don't bother.

Back