Technical ah crap :(

Currently reading:
Technical ah crap :(

slugworth1987

The Ratter
well

the last week has been eventful good and bad

Good: awsome induction system with cold air

Bad: coolent leak in the cabin ending up in the centre console a small puddle is building,

massive fuel vapour smell inside the car but its not loosing any petrol im thinking faulty EVAP system,

misfire/cylinder dropping either HT leads or sticking valve reason i suspect valve as engine is very ticky when it happens could also be a suspect coil pack?

also hot air cut out while in traffic until revs hit 4000 rom then came back, also the temp rocketed from 70-100 which is bad :(

things are sucking right now any ideas people?

First , probably your heating matrix is gone(leaking) , and i think changing
one by one things is the way.As for the misfiring, - can't help from the PC ,might be cam, valve or coil ...

its not good gonna get some new ht leads soon oil and filters are due soon anyway so should be ok i hope... as for fuel smell any ways to check the evap or where its coming from i have checked tank and lines all fine

fuel smell in car is never good :(
as for the leak- need anything from a brava :D

well today we stripped and cleaned the TB, removed and cleaned the EVAP, re-seated the induction system and scoop, removed and checked the heating system.

so anyway

heating system is leaking from the other side of the heating system (non piped side) and bottem rad bar of the rad,

EVAP system is stuck closed by the look of things so its leaking from the pressure release valve on top of the canister into the engine bay onto the induction system car was left standing for 2 days and fired on 2 cylinders until the vapour was cleared from the bay.

i have re-set the ECU in hope to fix the evap but looks like it may be a new solenoid or canister :(

also needs a heat exchange and HT leads damn car :p

well yesterday was a disaster...
car over heated from 70oC to 130 with no fan cutting in and the heating not working. pulled over as she boiled away coolant everywhere.

anyway 2 hours later engines cold, the breakdown guy turns up and i follow him to the yard for coolant and a bleed.

"bled" and topped up we drive on (its midnight by now)

i use the ""on bled as it was just a case of him thrashing my engine with the cap off until the heating worked...

get the mrs home and head home... heatings working all nice n good lol

got to the M1 engine was fluxing slightly from 70-90 but nothing bad...

then woosh 130 pull over and let her cool on M1 (0030 in the morning)

i try to bleed the system at the side of the M1 before A57 so get engine on mate holds a high RPM i leave the cap off and release the bleed valve get coolant flowing out of it and heating is working them BOIL engine went from 90 to a masive 130 in an instant.

kill the engine and put cap on once it calms down. decide to see how far we can limp the car home (still 40 mins away)

discover that aslong as the engine sits at 5000rpm - 6000rpm it stayed cooler than the 120 mark!

now the fan never cut in well it did a couple of times but not alot, so i know the fan and switch arnt U/S theres pressure in the system when rpm is higher than idle which is good so pump isnt U/S thermostat was open as you could see the temp fluxing on the gauge so thermostat not U/S, coolant in to the heater matrix is hot return is not all other pipes are hot also

im guessing a massive airlock in the system as i had the heater matrix off that day and as the car cooled you could hear alot of bubbles in the expansion tank once it stopped boiling.

yes i bled it but not enough so it seems just wouldnt mind others thoughts on this, oh and a new matrix was ordered today so its getting replaced hence why i havnt tried to fix it

only one on this thing which is a pain so im going to let it fill by removing the return pipe on the heater until it comes through then pipe it up then

You could just join the pipes together and leave the heater matrix disconnected, go for a drive about and see if it makes a difference.. Tbh if the matrix is leaking then there is an ideal place for air to get in the system right there.. I think i might have a heater matrix in the shed if your interested - worksop isn't so far from york. I'll have a gander after work if you like??? If i have one you can have it for nout if you collect. (can't see it being different between the 899 and sporting)

ycming said:
899 only have one, is good to have the extra bleed point but you don't need it. I removed mine in the sporting after it snapped.
I discovered mid-ninety's fords bleed screws fit in cento's - loadsa them in scrapyards. Just for next time you break one ;)

Last edited:
going to flush system again as im draining it anyway as the breakdown guy filled the header up with what looked like an old oil can :( so im going to pressume its full of crap and its boiled over a couple of times so full of pipe gue lol

update

new matrix in

bled 3 times to make sure!

heating works lovely and fan works on the rad again tested alot before driving and drive's nicely.

heating works on idle as well i think the problem was the old matrix was so clogged it didnt work properly etc

Back