General Ahh it must be time.

Currently reading:
General Ahh it must be time.

alfacool

I just love Italian cars
I love how these little cars every year give you a reminder its getting close to service time.
By seizing up the handbrake actuators to the rear drums. :rolleyes:

Got to be honest, I never had any issues with those after I replaced them.
I gave them a thorough soaking with spray copaslip first though.
I also ran oil through the new handbrake cable before fitting.
:)

Hey alfacool-

How long had you left it for before you came back to it?

If I'm parking for any length of time; I stick a couple of wooden chocks under the wheels..!

(Your effort would certainly avoid the issue, David)

I replaced my handbrake levers and cables a couple of years ago and havnt touched them since.

Might get a slight bit of sticking if I wash the car and then it's frosty over night, but not always.

I have 2 spare that i rotate with the ones i take out after they are cleaned and lubed up again.
These ones have been on for nearly 2 years i guess, so are ready for refurbishing.
The good lady has been using the car a bit and she's a monster at yarking the hand brake right up probs adding to the issue.
In the mean time i have tapped the arms back to free them up and if the weather is good this weekend will whip them out.

Is there a preferred lubricant for these to keep them going longer? I am thinking of using graphite grease.
I usually wire brush the living daylights out of them. Get the hinge working and then work copper slip into it. Spray the lot with WD-40 and stick them in a freezer bag for next time

Back