Off Topic ah but can you super charge one??

Currently reading:
Off Topic ah but can you super charge one??

We possibly come back to the 1242 crank damper debate at this point.

Cheers

D

do you run your cento with a harmonics damper pulley RC?

I ran the cento pressed steel on on mine for ages until I some how ended up doing research at college on harmonic fatigue and realising how powerful the forces are. and after fitting it (might be placebo effect) the engine did feel.... different.

But if you think about it... making harmonic dampers costs stupid amounts and hundreds of hours dyno/testing... fiat wouldnt waste all that money plus the extra cost of the part, for no reason.

Craig, does your mates trofeo cinq have a different bottom pulley?
not that I know of... I have another look at hes paperwork and see if anything is done or even if they did it on the sprint cars...

All I know is that fiat fitted a larger pulley on the alternator but that is because they kept killing alternators

do you run your cento with a harmonics damper pulley RC?

I ran the cento pressed steel on on mine for ages until I some how ended up doing research at college on harmonic fatigue and realising how powerful the forces are. and after fitting it (might be placebo effect) the engine did feel.... different.

But if you think about it... making harmonic dampers costs stupid amounts and hundreds of hours dyno/testing... fiat wouldnt waste all that money plus the extra cost of the part, for no reason.

Nope, I have a fully balanced 1108, so no bob weight on the end.

I wondered vaguely whether the enlarged area of the damper could be used to drive an SC and whether it would fit the 1108, but only idle speculation.

My next transplant is a 2.4 litre, starting a week tomorrow.

Cheers

D

Is that down to the factory balancing tollerances?

To be honest, I was thinking about scrapping the damper to loose weight off the crank, but I would obviously be balancing rods pistons and sending the crank, flywheel and pressure plate off to be done properly to try and rid the vibration.

Or is it all down to harmonics :cry:

holy crap i would offer my car to be projected on trying to keep it standard bar the sc, just imagine the 899 whining (more) with an sc on it... mmmmmmmmmmm dreams

Or is it all down to harmonics :cry:

harmonics...

got to remember that harmonics only effect small areas of rpm.

its to do with the natural frequency of the crankshaft (with all parts attached)

also iirc it only really causes problems if the engine is at a steady rpm on the bad area.

so say if the engine had the worse harmonics at 4000rpms and this just so happened to be 70mph in 5th gear then it would cause a problem.
same if it was at 900rpms... engine you hammer its self to death at idle.

you can never remove harmonics... only move them.

Ballancing the crank/adding new pulleys for a SC will move frequently...

The old harmonic dampener debate. different forum, different car, same debate :D

I'll use a working example.

The 4agze - as found in import AW11 (MR2 mk1), AE92, AE101, AE111 (corolla's).

As standard they have a harmonic dampener front pulley, however a common upgrade is to swap it for a billet item (different ratio)

for example

CIMG0302edit.jpg

Now, I agree that it was put there for a reason, but if everything is balanced up I think you can probably get away with it if you run a lower annual milage. I only say this because I havent heard of many (any) failing due to crank fatigue, but then the toyota crank is a very beefy item.

How long the FIAT crank will last, is a different question. Only one way to find out :D

And as for woodruff size, the 4agze isn't that large

pumps.jpg

Back