Off Topic ah but can you super charge one??

Currently reading:
Off Topic ah but can you super charge one??

slugworth1987

The Ratter
well you can bolt on a turbo nicely they even sell kits... but what about a supercharger?

DEBATE!!!!

i say do able same as a turbo with oil feeds n so on BUT you could run it off your waterpump belt (beefed up) run the feed to a cooler still then boom super charger less hassel right?

well you can bolt on a turbo nicely they even sell kits... but what about a supercharger?

DEBATE!!!!

i say do able same as a turbo with oil feeds n so on BUT you could run it off your waterpump belt (beefed up) run the feed to a cooler still then boom super charger less hassel right?

yes its doable
its been done on the Punto 1.2
but they cento has a lot less space

im at a loss why you couldnt just wait for a reply to your post in the turbo thread

yes its doable
its been done on the Punto 1.2
but they cento has a lot less space

im at a loss why you couldnt just wait for a reply to your post in the turbo thread

i wanted a debate also to take the micky of the post below it it just felt right you know :p:confused::confused::confused::slayer:

iirc that failed because the cutting in the crank for the woodruff key wasnt substantial enough to run the M45 blower... so yes its possible... if u can find a suitable drive for it

ah so id need like a 2nd engine in the boot to run the air pump (supercharger) like Geff the topgear electric car... so not plausible but doable...!!! mwuhahaha

no... you'd need a work around for the 'weak' crank machining, be it taking the drive from somewhere else or modifying the crank

then u need to find oil feeds and returns, space to put it, space for all the pipework, ECU mapping, induction and exhaust work...

Last edited:
so if i machined a new crank on the leath using high carbon steal/colbolt it woulds be even more likely doable, surely though the turbo puts alot of torque on the crank causing alot of excessive ware?

across the whole crank and it negligible due to the way an engine works

ur trying to run a supercharger off a relatively small cutting in the crank

think positive dude its a debate of hopes and dreams lol :p

what about putting a punto mk2 1.2 8v in first although the engine is ALOT bigger so space again becomes an issue i presume?

what about putting a punto mk2 1.2 8v in first although the engine is ALOT bigger so space again becomes an issue i presume?

facepalm.jpg

Ash

the guy i bought a hormann wide arch kit off said he supercharged and nitrous'd a cinq. so if you beleive him it is doable.

I carnt remember what the end of the crank is like, but im sure you'd be able to do something with it and a new pulley

It is possible and easier than turbo.

You don't need oil feeds for most chargers
If you go low ish boost you won't need an intercooler or decomp plates/pistons etc
You will need a remap/new ecu

It should work on the std crank if you are conservative. And the one running nitrous is a cheap way of cooling to up the boost.

CIMG1844.jpg

Last edited:

If you go low ish boost you won't need an intercooler or decomp plates/pistons etc

It should work on the std crank if you are conservative. And the one running nitrous is a cheap way of cooling to up the boost.

The problem - which everyone is trying to point out - is that there isn't space to stack an extra drive on the crank and even if you did the crank end can't take the load. From personal experience the end of the crank (the woodruff key) is a pretty fragile arrangement. I had to get some parts made up for mine as it disintegrated after just a couple of minutes on the dyno during the initial mapping session. Having talked to other people in the serious tuning field this is a common problem and they've all had to solve it.

A turbo might have its own set of problems but in practical terms it is easier to fit in the space available.

I wouldnt say its easier.

oil pipes are nothing. the feed pipe is an off the shelf part that can be made up for about £15 from any place that sells hydraulic hoses

the sump just needs a drain welded in. which is just a 1inch bore tube

Imho a SC would be a lot harder as you might need to look into the crank pulley (not the crank itself as people keep saying)
then you have pulley ratios and belts.

the pipe work from charger/intercooler/tb would be more complicated then a turbo as its all close together.

Be interesting to see a supercharger on a small displacement engine.
you would never make the power of a turbo
turbos basically make use of waste energy while SCs use power working power... IIRC i remember reading that use a quite large percentage

hence why a lot of proper production SCs disconnect depending on load/rpm

Id say for what its worth and what you would get from a sc it would be easier to fit a small turbo with a huge waste gate.
you would get very low lag (my GT15 turbo had no noticeable lag but killed the engine at high rpms because the small wastegate) and free exhaust flowing at high rpms.

Back