Styling Aftermarket windows tinting...

Currently reading:
Styling Aftermarket windows tinting...

matthewmma

Regret not getting the windows tinted when I bought the car... Ah well such is life. Can the dealer do it retrospectively? I think it was a £155 extra option... If not, has anyone got any recommendations re windows tinting in Berkshire / Hampshire areas?

I found a website that sells pre cut tint films for fiat 500, <£40 for the full set, very tempted to give it a shot... But I can totally see a disaster waiting to happen though...

P.s. you can fit a 2.4m long timber joist diagonally from the boot to the front dashboard, plus 2 passengers in the 500 (with only one rear seat down). :slayer:

Regret not getting the windows tinted when I bought the car... Ah well such is life.

I found a website that sells pre cut tint films for fiat 500, <£40 for the full set, very tempted to give it a shot... But I can totally see a disaster waiting to happen though...

Whatever you decide, don't forget you can only go so dark on the tint on the driver and passenger windows. Too dark, you'll get pulled and the police will usually give you the option of either peeling it off at the roadside or giving you a fine and points.

Whatever you decide, don't forget you can only go so dark on the tint on the driver and passenger windows. Too dark, you'll get pulled and the police will usually give you the option of either peeling it off at the roadside or giving you a fine and points.

Yup. The front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them or you'll be committing an offence.

IIRC some versions of the Mini had problems meeting this requirement with the factory fit windows.

Last edited:
thanks all, I'll give tintyourglass in Reading a call, so far i got a quote of £150+VAT for front and back.

Yup i was aware 70% is the limit for front windows, but it's quite hard to tell if the glass is already tinted slightly or not. Does anyone know if the factory fit 500 glass is tinted?

I've been a co owner of a well known window tinting company in Kent for the last 15 years and due to the legislation passed on 1st January 2004 (section 32 of the road traffic act) you cannot apply a tinted window film to any of the 3 windows forward of the B post.

As a test we applied cling film to the windows of my previous 500 and this took it below the legal limit of 70% taking it down to 58% VLT (visable light transmission).

All cars from the 1990's onwards without exception are tinted to pretty much the legal limit give or take a couple of % so you cannot apply anything as this will make it illegal.

If you don't think your glass is tinted then drop the window slightly and put a white envelope behind the glass and take a look yourself.

Imho, tinted windows look fine on limo's, ambulances and mortuary vans, after all, who really wants to see what's going on in the back of one of them anyway!;).

Unfortunately, I've seen some cars looking slightly ridiculous with the back three windows completely blacked out. I accept it's some people's cup of tea, but it can really spoil the aesthetics of a nice looking motor.

A nice light smoke tint on some cars do look very nice... I dont like the super dark tints as it looks like its black paint.

RnR

I've been a co owner of a well known window tinting company in Kent for the last 15 years and due to the legislation passed on 1st January 2004 (section 32 of the road traffic act) you cannot apply a tinted window film to any of the 3 windows forward of the B post.

As a test we applied cling film to the windows of my previous 500 and this took it below the legal limit of 70% taking it down to 58% VLT (visable light transmission).

All cars from the 1990's onwards without exception are tinted to pretty much the legal limit give or take a couple of % so you cannot apply anything as this will make it illegal.

If you don't think your glass is tinted then drop the window slightly and put a white envelope behind the glass and take a look yourself.

OK this took quite a long time to check but I think I have the answer and Jax, it is not quite as you recall it.

To start with it is not s. 32 of the Road Traffic Act. There are four Road Traffic Acts (that I could find in the last 30 years anyway) - 1972, 1974, 1988 and 1991. Section 32 of each of them relates to something else.

What you are referring to is, I believe, a provision of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 5) Regulations 2003 (the "Regs") which did indeed come into force on 1 January 2004. And these regulations (a so-called statutory instrument) do gain their statutory power from the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Paragraph 3 of the Regs amends regulation 32(11) of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 by the addition of this:

“(11A) Paragraphs (10) and (11) have effect in relation to any tint, film or other substance or material applied to a windscreen or window as they have effect in relation to the windscreen or window itself.”

The original paragraphs (10) and (11) of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 provided as follows:

(10) Save as provided in paragraph (11), the windscreens or other windows constructed in accordance with the foregoing provisions of this regulation of specified safety glass, specified safety glass (1980) or safety glazing and specified in column 3 of Table II in relation to a vehicle of a class specified in column 2 of that Table shall have a visual transmission for light of not less than the percentage specified in relation to those windows in column 4 when measured perpendicular to the surface in accordance with the procedure specified in a document specified in relation to those windows in column 5.

[There is then a table which I cannot paste here but it basically says 70% for present purposes - see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/32/made]

(11) Paragraph (10) does not apply to—
(a) any part of any windscreen which is outside the vision reference zone;
(b) windows through which the driver when in the driver's seat is unable at any time to see any part of the road on which the vehicle is waiting or proceeding;
(c) windows in any motor ambulance which are not wholly or partly in front of or on either side of any part of the driver's seat; or
(d) windows in any bus, goods vehicle, locomotive, or motor tractor other than windows which—
(i) are wholly or partly in front of or on either side of any part of the driver's seat;
(ii)face the rear of the vehicle; or
(iii)form the whole or part of a door giving access to or from the exterior of the vehicle.

So I think in fact the law remains at the 70% limit for front windows and windscreen - all this change in the law did was to clarify (ouch) that a film or a tint was illegal as well as the glass itself being tinted.

PS What scares the crap out of me - especially when I am on my bicycle - is when I see mothers driving with babies in the front passenger seat with a sun shade covering the front passenger window. Truly terrifying.

Last edited:
I will go for aftermarket tinting and i have already got an offer. Those that i have chosen are slightly darker than those that the law permits but it's ok i think! :p

Last edited:
PS What scares the crap out of me - especially when I am on my bicycle - is when I see mothers driving with babies in the front passenger seat with a sun shade covering the front passenger window. Truly terrifying.

I know this should probably be reserved as a different topic, but as a frequent visitor to South Africa, you should see what goes on there concerning children in cars. I have seen babies just laid on the front or back seat, completely unharnessed as well as children under the age of ten completely unrestrained, jumping around all over the inside of the car whilst Mum or Dad is happily chugging along at 120 kph. Truly frightening. It is even worse when you have seen, as I have, body bags laying at the side of the road because of kids (and their parents) having been killed as a direct result of not being restrained.

To get back on topic, maybe I would rather see a lot of cars (especially in South Africa) with blacked out windows, that way, I wouldn't have the horror of watching unrestrained children performing their death wish antics.

I know this should probably be reserved as a different topic, but as a frequent visitor to South Africa, you should see what goes on there concerning children in cars. I have seen babies just laid on the front or back seat, completely unharnessed as well as children under the age of ten completely unrestrained, jumping around all over the inside of the car whilst Mum or Dad is happily chugging along at 120 kph. Truly frightening. It is even worse when you have seen, as I have, body bags laying at the side of the road because of kids (and their parents) having been killed as a direct result of not being restrained.

To get back on topic, maybe I would rather see a lot of cars (especially in South Africa) with blacked out windows, that way, I wouldn't have the horror of watching unrestrained children performing their death wish antics.

Call me selfish but when I see a car waiting to turn right out of a UK T-junction and I am on my bike, I will be more concerned if 80% of the side window is obscured by a sun blind than if a kid is sitting in the passenger seat unharnessed. Yes, the kid does not deserve to die, but the parent has responsibility for them, and Charles Darwin had a point...

I will go for aftermarket tinting and i have already got an offer. Those that i have chosen are slightly darker than those that the law permits but it's ok i think! :p

I suspect that UK Construction and Use regulations are enforced in Greece even less than Greek laws are...

And as a friend who lives in Bahrain pointed out - tinting windows in very hot countries is not really optional.

Come on chrislida we need people following the law not breaking it! Oh well as long as its not darker than 30% tinted, i see A LOT of ridiculous window tinting going on in Greece. What do people have to hide?

Well after seeing a friend of mine have his tinted for £150 I thought I would have a go myself. I watched all the window tinting I could on youtube. Went and bought the tint at £3.50 and tinted my own. I had 2 goes and the third was as good as what my friends was. All for £3.50 and a bit of patience. No bubbles!!. Car looks great.
Going to fit some decals next. Not sure what because I have the vintage wheel trims and steel wheels for winter, so it would have to look good with the alloy look and retro look. I will post a pic when done.
Oh another trick I did. I fitted stone chip guard on the rear of the door openings and the front of the rear wheels on the bottom of the rear wing. Looks the part I must say. Again no bubbles. They fit these in Poland I think. I got a picture of a car with them on and copied the design. Cost me £6.
I was thinking of doing a kit and selling them but never got any further with the idea.
Saved money on custom made carpets too. I made a template and had the carpets made. Cost me £13.50 and are still like new after 20 months. I do keep them clean though. They fit perfect and do not need any clips or velcro as they are full in the footwell and can not slide anywhere.

Reactions: RUI
Back